Are roof insulation kits any good?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I’m replacing the roof on my garage as the condensation is terrible. I initially wanted to get away with a temporary solution and do a proper job in a few years’ time but some other issues have pushed me into doing (trying to do) a proper job now.
Anyway, I was looking at the composite corrugated panels with the insulation built in but those are very pricey. I then saw that you can get insulation kits (accord-thermaroof-kit) which work out cheaper. They are basically just boards of insulation but say they are cut to suit the corrugated panels. Are those any good?

Also, would it be advised to install some type of board (hardboard/chipboard?) on the beams first or is it ok to fix the installation boards straight on to the beams?

Thanks
Alan

Sponsored Links
Why do you have such "terrible condensation"?
Why not post pics of the inside and the outside of the garage - show above & below the roof and the general building.

FWIW: its typically best to install a traditional roof of some kind.

The roof is just plastic corrugated sheets. Even though there is no heating there, in winter it just pours down from condensation. There are also some leaks from where the sheets dip down. I was shocked to find out that those dips are from the previous owners not securing the beams. There are some beams that are secured on the one side and absolutely nothing on the other, they just hang loose o_O
Below are some pictures.

I am planning on firstly securing and treating the beams, then installing the insulation (http://www.steelroofsheets.co.uk/products/accord-thermaroof-kit/), followed by some new corrugated sheets. Any problems with doing that?

Thanks for the pics and additional info.

No insulation will cure that roof's problems.
The joists are all fixed at the same level - there is no fall.
As you say, its vital that the joists are secured at both ends. Closely examine the supposedly fixed ends as well as the loose ends.

The corrugated sheeting must all be removed and re-fit to falls. Use tapered firrings.
The edging will have to be lifted, and re-fit.
The edging must discharge into a corrugated trough between peaks.
Guttering must be installed.
The side door/window(?) needs a drip cap above the frame.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back