Are telephone extension sockets obsolete nowadays?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having annoying gripes with BT Broadband, so in the spirit of "simpler is better", was wondering about taking out all of the extension sockets dotted (bodged by previous owners?) about the house.
Perhaps leave only one for the actual line into the HomeHub, but our cordless phone runs straight from the master socket.

Sponsored Links
Can you not use a socket doubler on the master?

That way you can plug your cordless and hub in.

Put a filter front plate on the NTE 5 master socket to separate ADSL ( broadband ) signals from the telephone signals..

Then you can have what ever you want on the telephone circuit without any significant affect on the broad band.

One source is http://www.solwise.co.uk/adsl_splitters-faceplates.htm

There are other source but beware low cost items bought from foriegn sources as some do not have the correct filtering.

Thanks BB and Bernard :)

HomeHub is currently adjacent to the computer, which is on the other side of the room from the master socket. Would like to leave the computer where it is, as it is in the understairs alcove, so tucked neatly away. This means that HomeHub is hardwired to the computer, rather than running wirelessly.

Additionally, I have cat5 running from computer, under floors, into the lounge, therefore running hardwired services to the smart telly - moving the HomeHub back to the master socket would mean running 2 x cat5 cables from that; one to the computer, another to the telly. I was guessing that leaving the HomeHub running off its own extension might be least problematic / fiddling about under floors etc.

So, taking Bernard's suggestion,

if I swap the master faceplate for a split one, run the cordless off the phone socket, and leave the other one unused, would that give trouble-free broadband off the extension? Or would I have to add anything else to the extension (like a filter / filter faceplate)?

Sponsored Links
The router is best connected to the unfiltered socket on the filtered face plate and the phones connected to sockets connected to the filtered connections on the rear of the face plate.

If the router needs to be located elsewhere then fit a socket there and wire it to the unfiltered connections on the rear of the face plate ( not all filtered front plates have unfiltered connections )

Ditch the HomeHub - i'd rather use a couple of yoghurt pots and some string! If I had a pound for every problem that's been down to a BT HomeHub...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back