Are there really people this uneducated in this Country?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
long story short, I need to ask people the area of their rooms from time to time to quote for a job, yet I get a feeling that 70-80% of people I ask to measure & tell me are unable to do this. I mean they just don't know how to calculate a square area of something,usually they just say flat out that they don't know how to or ask to wait to get someone to do it...
I see online/ all around that everything is sold to fit a small/medium/large room, in stores people buy packs of flooring not the actual square metrage they need which really suggests that this is national..

what the hell???

Sponsored Links
I recon it's Maths blindness. They couldn't do well in it at school, they hated having to pass it, and could see no possible reason you'd need it later in life. Consequently, when asked to do something remotely "mathematical" they immediately assume it's too hard to understand, and from that point on refuse to engage with the challenge.

In my unqualified opinion.

Nozzle

How many people behind the shop counter cannot give change without the computor screen telling them how much change is to be given.

Sponsored Links
Further to Bernard's post.

At checkout.
To pay - 2.01
Give - 5.00 note.
Machine says - change 2.99
Oh wait a minute, I have a penny.
Totally baffled. Looks at me as if I'm daft.
Gives me back the penny and 2.99.

At checkout.
To pay - 2.01
Give - 5.00 note.

Happened to me recently that one... Used it as a maths lesson for the boy. Have to unteach these sooooo piddling number lines they're taught nowadays. At least in his year now they're doing it the proper way.

1lb 5 oz of apples at 1/6 lb
2lb 3 oz of pears at 2/- lb
and a few more similar purchases.

The running total of the prices kept in the head.

10 bob note offered, change calculated in head.

and invariably the customer had also got the total price in their head as well.

Some weigh scales did provide the price on a graph

predecimal scale.jpg

there's nothing new about it.

People get handy with (simple) calculations if they use them frequently. e.g. darts scoring.

There are plenty of older people who say "I've forgotten my glasses, can you read it for me please"

And you know what that means.

The "Sun" is written to be understandable by people who can read and understand language at the same level as CBBC.

Last edited:

At checkout.
To pay - 2.01
Give - 5.00 note.

This means it's time to get rid of shyster marketing people that insist on using a x.99 pricing. Come to think of it, perhaps best to be rid of 1p and maybe 2p coins.

Nozzle

This means it's time to get rid of shyster marketing people that insist on using a x.99 pricing. Come to think of it, perhaps best to be rid of 1p and maybe 2p coins.
That is nothing to do with what I wrote. The total of my purchases was £2.01.

Had it been £2.25 and I subsequently offered 25p the result would have been the same.

That is nothing to do with what I wrote. The total of my purchases was £2.01.

Had it been £2.25 and I subsequently offered 25p the result would have been the same.

All true, to the every last letter. But it IS time to get rid of x.99p pricing, and damned 1p coins. Anyone care to sign a petition?

Nozzle

Wasn't it introduced so that shop assistants had to 'ring' the till and give you a penny change so that they didn't just pocket the money with no record?

Would that still apply in small shops?

Sponsored Links
Back