Are there really people this uneducated in this Country?

and damned 1p coins. Anyone care to sign a petition?

Nozzle
No petition - just drop the coins where oldies can pick them up - and they will- have a laugh while watching them from the comfort of your favourite coffee shop.(y)

Sponsored Links
Hey, don't mock me, I pick up dropped coins; I've got a nice collection going. Yes, I'm now an oldie, although not happy to have got here, but you too will get her one day as well.

1p and 2p coins are magnetic. Magnet on a string, no more bending, or a tape measure with a magnetic end is the more up market method.

1lb 5 oz of apples at 1/6 lb
2lb 3 oz of pears at 2/- lb
and a few more similar purchases.

The running total of the prices kept in the head.

10 bob note offered, change calculated in head.

and invariably the customer had also got the total price in their head as well.
So that's 1/6d + (5/16 of 1/6d) add 4/- +(3/16 of 2/- ) OK broken down it's still 5/16 of 18 and 3/16 of 24 to calculate it in pence. Because there are 16 ounces in a lb. Maybe that's why things were sold in 1/4s of a lb. And you don't need to calculate change to give it - you take out coins as you go - Been there got the T shirt at a Petrol Station when you could dispense petrol under 16 years of age. So WTF is 5/16 of 18. and 3/16 of 24. :confused:

Sponsored Links
I know they are Bernard, but we need bending the exercise to stay supple in our dotage. And 5/16 of 18 is pretty much just 5, and 3/16ths of 24 is 4.5, so just depends whether you round up or down. The beauty of us oldies, is that we were taught mental arithmetic, and I feel sorry for the kids today not getting a proper education; technology has revolutionised the world, but made us poorer people because of it.

I got that wrong :)

5/16 of 18 is 5 x 1⅛ = 5⅝ so 5¾d. - obviously rounded up

3/16 of 24 is 3x1½ (no 1.5 then of course) = 4½d.

Total 10 pence and a farthing.

I know they are Bernard, but we need bending the exercise to stay supple in our dotage.
dot Age is only a number,

69 doesn't mean I cannot fix my own TV aerial to the chimney, Admittedly the thatchers put the ladder there for me as it was bit heavy for me to move safely without damaging the new thatch

loony on  a ladder.jpg

No petition - just drop the coins where oldies can pick them up - and they will- have a laugh while watching them from the comfort of your favourite coffee shop.(y)

I've picked up any dropped coins since I was a kid and will continue to do so. Over the years I've picked up quite a bit of cash and other things too. Years ago I would pick up cigarette cards that could be exchanged for stuff ( Embassy if I recall) and in the mid eighties Cadbury did a wrapper race where you got 6p for a wrapper in January , 4p in February and 2p in March so I picked those up too.
Going back to pennies and the new ones being steel , I check all the coppers in my change and remove all the non magnetic ones and put them to one side. Can't scrap them as yet but if and when the penny drops from circulation I'll be sitting on a few more pounds worth of scrap metal . And while I'm checking my change I look out for those pretty 50p's too as some of them are worth more than face value.

We once super glued a 5 Mark coin to the pavement outside the office window. Interesting the reaction when people could pick it up. It went one night leaving a chiselled scar in the pavement.

We once super glued a 5 Mark coin to the pavement outside the office window. Interesting the reaction when people could pick it up. It went one night leaving a chiselled scar in the pavement.
Yes, my brothers did that with a krone when we were living in Norway, they found the reactions highly amusing too. Hmmm!
Plenty of booze bottles returned, on behalf of me ol' nan (barley wine, or Mackeson's Stout; can't recall which).
Years ago my mate and I would go to the pub at lunch on payday, drink 2 bottles of newcastle brown (yuck!) then take the empties into the offie next door which paid for some mints to hide the smell of drink before we went back to work. Ah, happy days.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
Back