Are these classed as a maintenance free connection

Sponsored Links
NO you cannot do that.

The colour indicates the size of wires the connector is designed to be used with.

Isn't that what he's trying to do Bernard?

Slider, I would cover those with heatshrink sleeve. Are you aware of the safe zones for cables?

Sponsored Links

Slider, I would cover those with heatshrink sleeve. Are you aware of the safe zones for cables?

Thanks stillp, are these a MF join and allowed in inaccessible areas (ie behind plaster)?

Are these classed as a maintenance free connection
No, but they are likewise exempt from the requirement for accessibility.

Need to move a socket around 6" horizontally.
The cable to it already runs horizontally, I hope?

What sort of crimping tool do you have, BTW?

If they do not need to be accessible why are they are not MF?

Not sure yet regarding current cable route. Assuming by your wording if the cable runs vertically (up or down) to it I can't move horizontally?

I'll be getting one of these

http://www.screwfix.com/p/ratchet-c...arch-_-SearchRec-_-Area3&_requestid=75827#_=p

My error, mis read the post. But still not a good way to do it. As mentioned requires the correct crimp tool.

Buried in plaster is not good, use a back box and a blank cover plate if the cable(s) change direction there ( to identify the "safe" zone where the cables are )

You're just on the receiving end of a quibble about terminology as used in the regulations. Per the regs, non-accessible joints have to be crimped/soldered etc. OR utilise an 'MF' junction box. The regs do not use the term 'MF' in relation to crimped etc. joints, although the concept (of their not needing any 'maintenance') is obviously the same.

Kind Regards, John

Certain types of joints do not need to be accessible for inspection. One of those types is ones officially designated as Maintenance Free (which involves more than just the actual connectors/terminals themselves). Crimps are another type.

Not sure yet regarding current cable route. Assuming by your wording if the cable runs vertically (up or down) to it I can't move horizontally?
Indeed.

If it runs up from under a suspended floor you may be able to just re-route the existing cable(s)

Not the right sort for insulated crimps.

They are the type we are issued with in work for the electricians and they work just fine.
I use them myself for insulated lugs on the motor terminals and I've never had a lead pull free.

Properly done, crimping works fine on solid cores. There are however some well-respected organisations who do not agree, and I'll admit that my tests were done many years ago using AMP uninsulated crimps. Supporting the insulation outside the area of the crimped connection is crucial.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back