argument with neighbor regarding rendering on our terraced wall

Are you saying he's paying three grand to render that gable wall? What's his address. I'd like to get on his contractor list.

£3000 is what he told me. And for that he has no scaffolding, he is doing some of the removal of the render himself, no dowel for cutting a straight line, and no beading where he has cut the slot as the line is not straight. My wife who watched the whole thing said builder had ladder on the extention and just cut a line down.

If he does not patch the bit of render by my sill, and that little bit is now loose what do I use to patch It. My window opens inwards fully so it's easy to reach through that window. There seems to be some leading underneath the render in that part which is part of my extension with the loose little square of render on top. The render above is solid and not blown

Sponsored Links
FEvans, good evening.

As I understand it, your neighbour is undertaking work on his property, which has impinged on your property, plus the small patch to the DAMAGE on your side of the BOUNDARY, at a large cost to repair.

OK fine so far but, I am struggling to get to grips with a builder, contracted to a third party [your neighbour] Not You this Builde,r then damages albeit slightly your property, without your consent??? and then boldly asks you to repair his mistake, I was going to use another Anglo-Saxon phrase, but decided against?

One thing that I for one would be concerned about is that over the next wee while is that if you begin to notice rain water ingress in the corner of the room nearest where your neighbour has worked, then who is going to be held responsible? if the room was dry up until now? what has changed, the Neighbors builder may have to answer to that?? [do you think?]

Suggest that you have a friendly word with the neighbour about any future water ingress, if possible [nudge - nudge ] send hi an e mail expressing your concerns, that will give you a record before the fact.

Ken.

Cheers for the helpful reply. It's been 48 hours since he cut the Grove in the wall and damaged the render by the sills. We have had a lot of rain over night. I have now taken photos and a video just in case.

Is this normal. Yesterday they put the scratch coat on after cutting a crap line down the house. Today they use a metal bead but have left a few inches next to it on my side bare. 20161005_175648.jpg
20161005_175147.jpg
20161005_175648.jpg
20161005_175600.jpg

Sponsored Links
Facebooked the builder to ask what was happening and he has said he is coming back to sort my side out. He at least admitted he did not cut a straight line.

It looks like a galvanised metal stop bead when it should be SS - or my suggestion would be a Render Plus Pvc expansion bead with a 50mm fin on either side of the upstand.
The galv bead will rust and expand and blow the render and dash.

The builder repaired the patch on the neighbour's side but not on your side.

The corrugated roof was clean in early photos but now has debris on it likewise your slate roof - simple precautions could have prevented that. Is your gutter free?

Everyone to their own method but no way would I have erected that scaffold for that job - what next, a forklift?

Last edited:
FEvans, good evening.

Bluntly I do not like what i have seen on your digital images, I copied and pasted then Zoomed in [anyone following suggest you try this?]

There are gaps in the [what I assume is] Mortar, a really perfect way for rain water in a few days / weeks / months to invade your property?? -- What no good quality Mastic?? -- and no space for it to actually fill the space and do its job?

By all means get the Builder back, but it is very important to now get the neighbour seriously involved, the Potential ! for on-going serious damp problems in your property is very high ! it is in my opinion you now need to place your neighbour on notice that the work undertaken has placed your property at risk of future damage by rain penetration !

I would be sending your neighbour e mails and recorded delivery letters stating that the work undertaken by his builder WILL seriously compromise the water-tightness of your home.

Don't mention my roof. Here it is

The bead is metal.

I am going to wait to see how he rectifies the problem tommorow

Here is the builders reply to my query as to what he intends to do

If you let me finish the job then you will see mate it you open your eyes you will see that we have leveled up from his side as we went but old dashing line and it was out so now we have corrected his side we will do the same to yours thanks Dan
And you won't be charged so should be happy and the crack at the bottom that you was informed about is down to your self so before you comment about any work let it be finished first ok ?

It's like he is doing me a favour. After messaging him my neighbour then rings me to shout about me having the cheek to message his builder. Only once have I seen the builder as it's my neighbour doing most of the work. I will keep this thread as evidence of my problem

Attachments

• 20161005_175750.jpg
    20161005_175750.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 140
  • 20161003_172911.jpg
    20161003_172911.jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 165
If that bead is a stop bead then it will only have the one fin - the fin which you can see has been placed on your side of the line which means its your render that has been disturbed not the neighbour's.

Dropping a chalk line would have given a plumb line for the centre line cut - the stop bead upstand should then back on to your render at the chalk line cut. This would place the fin on the neighbour's property where it should be.

To apply the dash you need "wet" render - how do they propose to make good the dash on your side if the render that the builder has applied is dry?

Here's a close up of the beading

Attachments

• 20161005_175657.jpg
    20161005_175657.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 155
  • 20161005_175702.jpg
    20161005_175702.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 138
It appears to be a typical galvanised one fin stop bead - there does, however, seem to be room for more wet render now I've seen the new detailed photos.

Last edited:
I never noticed before but it's definitely over hanging

Attachments

• 20161009_165904.jpg
    20161009_165904.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 107
Another image showing his roof just under my sill

Attachments

• 20161009_165716.jpg
    20161009_165716.jpg
    253.9 KB · Views: 131

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back