Ariston clas he boiler timer problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got an Ariston Clas He boiler. Everything works ok, I think except the timer. It's hardly ever worked. I'd set it and it never came on in the morning. So many engineers have said it was fine as it worked between 8 and 10pm.
Last year I had a new timer fitted, still didn't like an early morning shift but I persevered. Who needs heat at 6am anyway?
This year I've had another timer and a new switchboard after the timer completely failed on me, wouldnt come on and then when it did wouldn't switch off. I've had 5 visits from SSE recently and still the timer won't work.

Tonight I had a Siemens RDJ10rf thermostat thing fitted, the engineer told me how to use it, seemed simple. Nope, now he's away, the heating is off and it's not supposed to be and the override setting won't work. I looked on google and thought 'well you know I suppose I'll need to have a bash myself seeing as 5 engineers can't fix this'. I followed the wee reset steps, boilers coming on, heating up and switching back off.

Please could anyone give me any advice before I call SSE back/freeze to death/ rip boiler off wall? I'm so sick of having to wait on engineers and now I don't know how to get any heat.

Any advice is very much appreciated and thank you in advance for any advice and help that I may receive.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thank you for your first post on the forum.

All the tradesmen on the forum answer questions in their spare time. None of us earn money (except the forum owner) and do it to be nice and earn brownie points.

All we ask (and like) is politeness in the way of a please and thank you, sadly missing from your first post.

Oh my bejesus. I'm so sorry. It's very unlike me actually so thank you for pointing it out. Raging with myself now and I appreciate you taking the time to welcome me to the forum.

The welcome was sarcasm.....tbh. :p

Nothing personal but the lack of manners is quite common on this forum with new posters. Not that I would imply you were an ignorant person in real life, but it may be the frustration that restricts the human element?

Hopefully new posters may get the gist eventually, it is mentioned quite often, not unique to yourself!

The pcb's on this boiler are notoriously dodgy and may need replacing, however, if the fault is occurring in the morning it could be the gas meter or governor is sticking.

Are there any fault codes showing on the boiler when it fails to light?

Sponsored Links
I had a new pcb fitted at the same time as the clock two weeks ago. The guy had the boiler going on and off as per what the timer said so it appeared to work fine until it stopped at 23.55 and turned into a pumpkin. I've been having to manually go and switch the heating on and off so as a whole I think it works fine and there's no error message. It used to be, the clock would stop between 2 and 4am but if I wound it on to 8am it would continue on through the day switching on and off when required.

I think I've reset the thermostat thingymajig. I took the back off and pressed the button on the bit wired to the boiler and then the buttons on the back of the thermostat and it stayed on till it was timed to go off. Now I'm trying to have the heating on with the wee sun button and it appears to be working. If it comes on at 5.30am I'll be the happiest girl in the world. Haha.

It must be frustration, certainly was with me, no heat 5 mins after the engineer left.
Thanks again.

How old is your boiler ?

What make and model of thermostat thingymagig do you have ?

Thanks

It is an Ariston clas he 30 and was five years old in September.

The thermostat is a Siemens RDJ10RF/SET which I actually got when I got the boiler fitted but was only brought out the box tonight.

Thank you

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back