Ariston Microgenus - faulty, cut losses and go for new?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

We have an Ariston Microgenus HE boiler that was fitted in our house just before we moved in 5 years ago.

12 months ago it went wrong with error code 34 - "the air pressure switch does not close when the fan runs". The symptons were the hot water would go cold for a minute or two before coming back again.

A plumber removed the restrictor in the flue and that fixed the problem for a while but now it's started doing it again.

I'm wondering whether it's worth getting the appropriate repairs made. People don't seem to think Ariston boilers are up to much so perhaps it would be wiser to get a new boiler rather than keep shelling out. Maybe I should get it fixed this time and then take out a monthly boiler care plan.

Thank you for any advice you have.

Sponsored Links
Hello,

We have an Ariston Microgenus HE boiler that was fitted in our house just before we moved in 5 years ago.

12 months ago it went wrong with error code 34 - "the air pressure switch does not close when the fan runs". The symptons were the hot water would go cold for a minute or two before coming back again.

A plumber remove the restrictor in the flue and that fixed the problem for a while but now it's started doing it again.

I'm wondering whether it's worth getting the appropriate repairs made. People don't seem to think Ariston boilers are up to much so perhaps it would be wiser to get a new boiler rather than keep shelling out. Maybe I should get it fixed this time and then take out a monthly boiler care plan.

Thank you for any advice you have.

The plumber you got didn't fix the problem.
I suggest you get someone else and tell them to put the restrictor back!!
The boiler you have will work quite happily for years more.
You just need to find someone competent to repair and service it.

You're right, he didn't fix it, but he was quite open about that and didn't really charge us. He did warn us that properly fixing it would be quite expensive. (And that he didn't think much of Ariston boilers).

Sponsored Links

You're right, he didn't fix it, but he was quite open about that and didn't really charge us. He did warn us that properly fixing it would be quite expensive. (And that he didn't think much of Ariston boilers).

No it won't be that expensive. £25 for the part.
Get someone else.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back