Ariston Microgenus HE 24 MFFI Hot Water Temperature Fluctuation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Firstly, apologies if this question has been raised before, I have browsed but can't find my exact problem.

When running a bath or shower the temperature of the water fluctuates widely. It doesn't get as hot as it should and the display shows a maximum of about 45 degrees. The water will then cool down to about 32 degrees for 10-15 seconds or so before rising again.

The odd thing is that the kitchen tap water will get hot and stay hot (60 degrees or so), but the distance from the boiler is only a few feet.

Some of your expert advice will be gratefully received. I'm not planning to attempt any repairs myself, merely wanting to know how big the job may be before calling an engineer.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Your system is dirty. System muck quite likely the cause of issues

Thanks, DP.

Is there a simple fix for that, then? Is it something that the end user can do?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Hello,

Some of your expert advice will be gratefully received. I'm not planning to attempt any repairs myself, merely wanting to know how big the job may be before calling an engineer.

Cheers.

I am not sure what you were expecting, but an engineer on site is the only person who can assess just what will be involved to repair.

It may seem odd to you but the flow rate from kitchen tap and bath are different so the boiler operation will be different.

Ariston are one of the cheaper boilers and not usually one where the owner or builder pays to have the system properly cleaned when they are fitted.

Tony

Thanks, Tony,

So are you saying that it's not possible to clean the system or not worth it?

I am saying that it needs to be assessed by an engineer at the boiler.

In most cases cleaning or replacing the plate heat exchanger will restore the hot water performance. I will clean them which is messy but a cheaper option. In my local area that's at a charge of £136.

In an ideal world a lot more can be done, power flushing at about £350 and/or fitting a magnetic filter at £150. But for an existing system that has taken a few years to block the plate then its likely to take at least that long again before it is blocked the next time.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back