Ariston Microgenus II - fan problem?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any Help would be appreciated....

My boiler is 7 years old and is as above, an Ariston Microgenus II 31mmfi combi boiler (yes, I know they are cheap but it came with the house).

I had to replace the PCB a few years back as the whole thing packed in and it ran fine for a while after this but it has started cutting out and restarting constantly while running, meaning the water runs hot and cold so I can't get the kids a bath as the water is never warm enough.

The burner starts ok, the water is warm for a few minutes and then it cuts out, stops for about 15 seconds and then starts again and repeats this for as long as it's running, only with the cut out happening every 20 or so seconds and the running time being the same.

The only thing I can think of is that it might be a fault with the fan (maybe it's reading as overheating but there are no error codes displayed during this, it simply cuts out and then restarts) but whatever the cause, it's hugely irritating. The boiler had been serviced about 8 months ago and is fine, the water pressure is good and it is otherwise in good nick but this new error has me bamboozled. during the whole exercise, there are no faults displayed and the water temperature display goes up and own but doesn't cut out at a specific temperature or restart at a specific one either.

Any thoughts on what is wrong?

PS - I am prepared to replace it with a new boiler as a last resort and know that I need to do this long term anyway but I'd still like to know what is wrong and if it can be fixed.

Sponsored Links
It has had a proper service, I get one every year. The last service reported no problems (apart from the engineer telling me that Ariston boilers are sh**e and that I should start saving for a new one) but he did tell me a few basics to check for (water pressure etc) and I could fix these but I'm not a gas engineer so wouldn't try any serious work myself. i just want an opinion as to whether it's fixable or if I need to just suffer it and save up until I can afford a new one.

Sponsored Links
If it was the plate heat exchanger, would I not see a drop in hot water pressure? this doesn't happen. Or am I thinking about the wrong thing?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back