Armoured Cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone tell me if it is ok to reuse armoured cable ? it has not been buried and been in use for about a year !

Cheers Dave

Sponsored Links
use it for what? and how big is it, where is it going to go, what is going on the other end, how long will it be?

Sorry !

Its currently running power to a 4.5kw pond heater , im afraid i dont know the size of cable !

it will do the same job as before and is about 15 metres in length !

Sponsored Links
Dave, there is no problem with reusing SWA so long as these rules are obeyed.

1: Ensure the Cable is of a size that will safely supply the power you need and thus comply with the regulations.

2: Do a visual inspection of the cable prior to use, ensure it has suffered no material damage that may impinge it's safe use. If you find any small damage to the outer cable sheath, inspect the steel armour for damage, if it is damaged then replace the cable. If only the outer sheath is damaged and the armour OK, then suitable sized heat shrink sleeving can be used to rerpair this small damage.

3: Ensure that the cable is terminated CORRECTLY using the Correct glands. Any external terminations should be made using CW glands NOT standard BW glands. Ensure that the shrouds are ALWAYS fitted and are a TIGHT fit to help prevent moisture ingress. The external gland would benefit from having a small amount of EXTERNAL silicone sealant smeared around the ends of the shroud to help seal it.

One final question and point. This armoured is to be used externally, therefore I would strongly urge you to only resuse it under the circumstances I have outlined, and IF and only IF it is a THREE core cable. I would no recommend the use of this cable if you intend to rely upon the sheath for the earth bond, should the sheath become damamged or corroded then you could lose this vital safety net.

Further I would operate the circuit using an RCBO rather than a normal MCB.

Many thanks FWL - Engineer for such a detailed answer most appriecated

Rgds Dave

i bet you wish you hadn't of asked now :cry: although what FWL_engineer says is true, its not what you wanted, since you said Can anyone tell me if it is ok to reuse armoured cable ? it has not been buried and been in use for about a year i think a Y or N was what you were really looking for?

Thing is FWL is right, but wthout seeing all the "kit" you have so it can be checked / tested you will have to get an electrician in, and as FWL usually gives a concise answer, a simple "no" would not have done

FWL as much as you and i do not see eye to eye (mainly because you are not on my level) your answers are 99% of the time concise, informative, and 100% acutrate, but alaos 88% confusing to those who do not have a clue what you are refering to, please remember this is a DIY forum, and simple words are better for all :D

Speaking as a DIY-er, there was nothing in FWL's post that I didn't understand. Compared to many of his other posts it was remarkably free of technicalities. I must admit I do not know the difference between the two types of gland he mentioned, although I can guess what the important functional differences probably are, nor do I know what CW and BW stand for, but if I was installing some SWA I would be pleased that FWL had drawn my attention to this, and go off and find out.

Ban, to be honest I have no idea what the word difference is between BW and CW glands, however BW glands are the standard two part type, which are designed for use in dry conditions.

CW are three part glands that have seals in them to prevent moisture ingress, you really need to know what your doing to put these on properly or they will simply not do the job intended.

There are other types of armoured cable glands, gas proof, fire proof and explosion proof, all have designations..and get progressivily more expensive too! :D

CAN YOU 2 GUYS HELP ME IN FINDING A SITE WHERE I CAN BRUSH UP ON MY 2360 PART 1 .... EXAM VERY SHORTLY

CHEERS :)

I know that if you go to the C&G website you can get copies of past papers. Not for free though....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back