Artex brush

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a 4'x4" strip of ceiling artex to repair.

An upstairs water leak has caused the artex to get damp and peel off. I've scrapped of the loose so presumably, apply some stain treatment, then artex over?

Are these brushes decent for the job ?

Artex brush

The existing pattern is what I presume to be standard swirl.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Yes they're the right stipple brushes, just make sure you get the right size as they come in different sizes. Measure the width of one of the existing swirls on the ceiling to get an idea of which one you will need.

This is the size of the swirl pattern next to a door for scale.

2lmteet.jpg

The brush above is 100mm x 150mm, is that adequate ?

A mate's given me a 1/2 small tub for the job he's had in store a year or so. Should I add a bit of water if its to thick?

Sponsored Links
That's not a swirl pattern, that looks like some kind of attempt to do broken leather. Swirl is interlocked circles done with a small stipple brush. Put your stipple brush in a plastic bag, apply the artex and then drag the bagged stippler across randomly. If the stuff is too thick by all means thin it but don't have it too thin or the pattern will shrink back.

Do I need to remove old artex that is still firm or can I go artex over the top of it ?

I think removing the old will do more damage to the plasterboard personally!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back