Arthroscopy Of The Knee

The scan gives an indication of whats wrong but it's difficult to predict what is required so surgeons don't generally do arthroscopy just for a look see, they combine the investigation with the repair , no point inflating you knee twice to have a poke around. My surgeon said he would put right whatever he found and gave me lots of photo's of his work. My surgery happened in the morning and I was able to walk out in the afternoon [well limp] back to work in a couple of weeks and back to martial arts in the gym after a month or two.
Surgeon said there were 6 areas which he would look at for problems and after the op said I had a full house.One of the repairs was to poke lots of holes in the knee cap as this was accidently discovered to encourage re-growth of cartilage tissue etc in that area.

Sponsored Links
ive had it done 6 times now,
left knee twice right knee 4 times(obviously :rolleyes: )

1st time at 18 last time about 5 years ago.(38)

depending on type of job you do then anything up to 2-3 weeks off work.
when i had both done together i was off for 4 weeks,trouble was even then went back a tad to early and 6 mths later had to have the right 1 done again.

DO NOT TAKE THE BANDAGE OFF TO HAVE A LOOKSIE,i did and it instantly swelled up,WITH LOTS OF PAIN :cry: :LOL: .

as others have said depending on what they have to do will result in how much pain your in after and how long off work you will be taking.

ive got the pleasure of looking foreward to having new knees etc when im in my 60s,as i have now developed osteo arthritis and they will not operate on me for these until im near or at retierment age.
so i continue to take my pain killers if and when i have a bad flare up.
good luck by the way,

oh and dont attempt to drive to soon aswell BLOODY HURTS WHEN YOU PRESS THE BRAKE PEDAL DOWN. :rolleyes:

Had one about 15 years ago. I fell on my knees when I was a kid and chipped a piece of bone off the end of my femur which used to move around and sometimes lock. They removed the piece of bone at the same time. It was very painful on the way home from hospital (felt every bump in the road whilst sitting in the cab). It felt like all the nuts and bolts had been loosened in my right leg. After a couple of days I was able to move around on crutches. think it took about ten days before I could walk properly. I still have the piece of bone in a plastic jar. have a small scar about 1cm long.

Interestingly, I almost had the operation done when I was about 17 but the piece of bone went back into position so I didn't have it done. Just as well because it would have resulted in a scar about 6 inches long behind the knee.

How medical technology has improved. :)

Hope it all goes well for you mate.

Sponsored Links
well after having yet another bout of serious pain in my right knee last week.paid another vivit to my docs today for a quaterzone to be put in it.
after him examining it he decides its rather swollen and requires fluid to be drained from it.BY FOOKING GOD DOES THIS HURT,screaming in pain as he inserted this bloody long needle in to it and then starts moving the thing around,bejesus thats fun.
then in goes the steroid and that aint fun either.
apparently a healthy knee will have around 2 ml of fluid around it,

he took over 20ml out of mine and its still swollen,
also being referred back to the consultant,so thats a waiting game no doubt.

oh for info,
lidls are doing knee supports for £5.99 and there bloody marvelous.varying sizes velcro and adjustable and VERY VERY comfortable.well worth it.

I think once you have a problem with your knee, you will always have a problem with your knee. My op was done years ago now but I only have to twist it slightly and it will hurt for days.

Did you see Doctor Patella? :D

I suspect knees wear with age. Lots of us at work have dicky knees. One person was off for months with an injury, another is hobbling with an injury, another has noisy knees, the boss wears special shoes for her knees and mine have at times been bad. One day one knee was so painful and swollen I could barely walk, a day later, back to normal. I find strengthening the muscles works wonders, but they'll never be like they were. The nurses at the surgery blamed my running, but that's balls, it was big stairs at a new job wot don it.

Currently off with a torn ligament in my right knee which I did getting out my car after a long drive two weeks ago. Started hobbling around on two crutches but nearly kept tripping myself up so just used one.

BAD IDEA!!!!!!!

I have now strained a ligament in my left knee and have no choice but to use both crutches. Estimated time off work will be about 6-8 weeks assuming they both heal with no problems.

For those of you who have hurt your knee(s), isn't it a bitch going for a carp????? :(

Currently off with a torn ligament in my right knee which I did getting out my car after a long drive two weeks ago. Started hobbling around on two crutches but nearly kept tripping myself up so just used one.

BAD IDEA!!!!!!!

I have now strained a ligament in my left knee and have no choice but to use both crutches. Estimated time off work will be about 6-8 weeks assuming they both heal with no problems.

For those of you who have hurt your knee(s), isn't it a bitch going for a carp????? :(

Indeed! :confused:

I remember the first time I had my knee looked at in the early 80's. They inserted a valve into the side of my knee and pumped it up - With a bicycle pump! For the following couple of weeks, every time I walked on it, I had air bubbling in my leg. It also made a quiet f***ting sound. :oops:

well after having yet another bout of serious pain in my right knee last week.paid another visit to my docs today for a quaterzone to be put in it.
after him examining it he decides its rather swollen and requires fluid to be drained from it..
Sorry M8 you got a crap doc. then - It reminds me of my experience in Eastbourne DGH when I had mine done - first one was like your experience and is giving me shivers now - then another team did one and couldn't have been more different. When they saw I had broke into a cold sweat they set up a fan and gave me a small dose of local ansthetic in the knee. No problems at all .

It's also possible that medical practices have changed. 30 years ago Josef Mengele would have regarded our dentists with admiration. These days he'd not give them the time of day. I've found doctors do vary a lot too. I had some rotten ones in Slough and Luton and a brilliant one in East Hants.

These tales of flatulent knees make me queazy.

Sponsored Links
Back