Asbestos air test....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
So recently got an asbestos air test done in house, 2 pumps one upstairs landing and one downstairs , open plan.

Results were below threshold and acceptable.

Now my question, results on this only count resperible fibers, of which 20 over both pumps were counted. That is good I am told? As means air if of good standard.

I am curious however, what were those fibres?! They said can be a number of things and unlikely asbestos.

What other fibers can be this small!?

Is there an asbestos air expert here?!

Thanks
Paul

Sponsored Links
From here:
http://www.atac.org.uk/downloads/ATAC Guide - 1 What is Asbestos.pdf

Respirable Fibres
For a fibre to be respirable:
< 3 Microns DIAMETER
> 5 Microns LENGTH
Overall Aspect ratio 3:1
IN OTHER WORDS NOT DUST BUT A LONG THIN AERODYNAMIC FIBRE

200 of the shortest respirable fibres laid end to end measure only 1mm – they are invisible to the naked eye.

The clearance indicator, which is a reasonably achievable level following asbestos removal is 0.01 fibres per f/cm3.

The Control Limit – a level that no-one is allowed to inhale is 0.1 fibres per f/cm3.

0.1 fibres per f/cm3 is the same as 100000 fibres per cubic meter – the amount of air you could breathe in an hour.

So the clearance indicator - 0.01f/cm3 = 1000 fibres per cubic meter.

On their paperwork, is the 20 followed by "f/cm3"?

Last edited:
The test was all clear and below the clearance indicator. Sampled 960 litres of air and was clear.

Basically they found 20 reportable fibers over that time in the filter which I have been told can be various fibers. So out of 960 litres of air only 20 were counted that would be classed as resperible.

My question would be, what other types of fibers can be of a small size within a household environment?

Thanks

IDK.

Could it be that all 20 were asbestos fibres?

After all, that's all they are testing for and they called them reportable fibres.

The best thing to do is talk to the company who you paid to do the work.

Are you in the US?

Sponsored Links
PGrim.

Why did you need to get such a survey undertaken? building work, DIY, removal and alteration of something?

What age is the property?

Any ARTEX anywhere?

Any old timber sash and case windows with fiber ropes? Any stuck down floor tiles? any off white packing around / near the Central heating unit? Any suspended ceiling tiles?

The above are only the tip of the Asbestos iceberg, loads and loads more hiding spots for Asbestos???

Ken

I got it done simply because wanted to check quality of air and check nothing untoward with any previous works.

Results were fine and not of any concern <0.01. Which is a pass.

What does that mean in terms however?
I read clearance is 0.01 or below. What does this mean per litre of air terms then in the world of Asbestos clearance terms etc?

Back