Asbestos in CU? (old fuse type)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have just discovered here at work (A school) that a 2 classrooms which used to be a woodwork-shop are fed from a believed to be disconnected 3P CU,

This unit has a big key switch in the front (originally to isolate machinery)
opening up the unit there are only a few ways actually in use, for 2 rings and a lighting circuit.

Removing one of the dead carriers (the re-wireable fuse type) there is a "fabric" in the back of the receiver am I right in thinking that this could be asbestos, and how can we tell if it is or not, and thirdly how worried should we be?

I will post pics later on today, mainly because opening up the unit requires turning the power off

Sponsored Links
This very well could be asbestos, used as an insulator around rewirable fuse elements to prevent damage to a ceramic or bakelite carrier.

Is it dangerous? Well, that depends how you look at it, if nobody is disturbing it (i should hope not in this case!) it wont hurt anybody.

What does cause me more concern is that it is a rewirable type, the big problem with these is that people tend to replace blown fuses with larger wire or whatever they have to hand (I and many others have seen it many times!)

Also, as this also feeds a ring final (presumably socket outlets) are these protected by a 30mA (10mA is becoming common in schools apparently) earth leakage RCD?

Time to consult an electrician methinks! This could do with proper rectification sooner rarther than later.

from what we know it is the only circuit protection, as the caretakers book said that a more modern CU in an adjoining room fed this room, which if it does has no isolation or protection on it, and would be wired in parallel

We only found this unit was still live by the electricians who were in to replace some damaged outlets, and couldn`t find the isolation.

the carriers are all ceramic types

Sponsored Links
the actual fuse carriers, yes, there are 9 that size then 18 smaller in the distro.

but the fuse cartrier, and reciever are identical, including the "fabric" at the back

The flash pads in the pic are asbestos, if yours are the same then it is almost certain yours will be asbestos too.

the one in the pic looks like an old royal brand isolator, can you confirm spark123?

we have a couple in our factory and we had a few that ive removed and replaced, horrible things imo!

the question is how dangerous is the asbestos in these things? once got talking to a mate of a mate (it was in a pub mind after a few) who removed asbestos and he reckoned that these asbestos flashpads were no danger at all, apparently there are two types of asbestos with blue being most dangerous and white not very. must admit its a subject im not massivelly clued up on (must google it when ive got five) but its probably one us sparks should be!

a tip i was told and which i follow was to mix a pva glue/water solution up and spray it onto the flashpads letting them set before removing, hopefully stopping many fibres escaping.

BILL Royal yeah. I certainly wouldn't go sniffing the asbestos flash pads, as they are inside the fuse box they are taking no harm at the moment and appear to be in fairly good condition.

thanks.

I have brought up the fact there is no RCD protection on sockets frequently attacked by the students (in the wisdom plastic sockets were used, now slowly being replaced with metal clad as they are damaged) as I find this a major concern, especially as last week a socket face was damaged to the extent that the live copper bars were touchable (although Darwin may come into play here!!)

Thanks Again.

i have five fuses boxes with this type, can anyone tell me what i can use to replace the asbestos pads within these fuses, or do we have to replace the whole fuse box, also the boxes are mounted on what looks to me like a wood board, i have been told this is also asbestos by one firm and another firm have said its not, is there any way i can find out for sure.
thanks
malcolm

Hey Tim, don't worry about the pads just get the biggest gobshite in yr11 to take them out :D

In the 12 years I spent teaching the number of broken sockets and switches I came across were enormous, the little beggars just love to kick and kick at them, doesn't matter where they are put they will try to break/stick something in everyday.

I cannot think of many schools with RCD protection (unless they are new builds or new temporary accomodations!!

Which lovely establishment are you at?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back