Asbestos insulating boards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A guy on our street has had a sample of his ceiling panels tested, found to be "asbestolux" type boards and has paid over £4.5k to have these removed from his relatively small garage.

He sent a letter round, advising his neighbours of this finding and now my wife wonders if we should do the same. Now, we have similar looking boards and our house was built at be same time (early 70 s). Our garage was extended over and I have invoices from then which quotes for supalux boards (which I believe to be non asbestos) and it's clear that those boards are different (they go over the soil pipe which runs along the ceiling no doubt dealing with the ensuite bedroom from the extension (done mid 80s).

Boards are in good condition. Now, if you read the Internet you get panic on one hand (especially from removal companies) and calm nonchalance on the other. There is clearly a modicum of risk but quantifying this seems difficult.

I'm very reluctant to remove these things if the risk is small or negligible, over 4k seems ludicrous. I know we live in a world of poor tolerance to risk, but I can't gauge the degree of risk - I mean, eating doughnuts is risky but I still do, if you see what I mean.

Would you guys do nothing (short of not bashing it about and leaving it alone), paint over it or stump up and have it taken out?

I appreciate your advice, this stuff must be pretty commonplace?

Sponsored Links
I thought that Asbestolux was an Asbestos substitute bought about in the 90's?

Anyhow, if you have AIB boards, I would get them removed, I think thats all you are asking in your post. Many people on here will have different views, but mine is that I don't like Asbestos at all. 4k may seems like a large outlay, but there is a reason that when you find AIB you have to notify H&S etc. Its not very nice....

It is weird though, and does make me question it, every company I have ever subbed asbestos removal out to seem to send some crazy looking fellow who's "dad used to eat it for breakfast and he's still alive and kicking".

I'm afraid its not quite the same as eating donuts?!!

FWIW, here's a second opinion; the guy on your street is a plonker. I mean - £4.5K? that's stupid. If you don't disturb the stuff, it will be OK.

its a dangerous job but someone's got to do it £3000 a house and I will get my self a wagon. Just let me know how many idiots you have in your street.

Sponsored Links
Christ, am I being that paranoid about AIB? I thought it was bad stuff.....what do you guys know that we don't? It would be helpful if I didn't have to be so worried about it all.

I bought my present house in 2000, it was on the market for £130k, it had been sold twice and both punters pulled out due to asbestos ceilings, I came along and got it for £112k :LOL: :LOL:

I had Bristol Council test the stuff, and he said; it is white asbestos, Do not drill it or grind it, no problem taking it down, if you're concerned buy a cheap face mask from B&Q and dampen the ceiling with water, he did warn me; Do not touch Blue or Brown.

In order to tip it at the council waste sites it has to be double bagged in 1200 gauge polythene and taped up.

I guess thats the difference then.....I'm pretty sure that White was never used as Asbestos Insulation Board (AIB) that was only the blue and brown.

Never quite as worried by the white. Anyway turns out I was slightly wrong, Asbestolux, does contain brown Asbestos (was getting confused with supalux) meaning they are AIB.

But going back to the OP - you should just get a test done by a local firm. Make sure they do not also do the removal as well, it may be that they then try to sell certain services to their benefit

In Bristol, I rely on a guy who charges about 50quid a sample and get the telephone results the same day and a certificate on e-mail the next.

At least this way you can make an informed decision and take some advice from an impartial expert - but be warned you will get charged an arm and a leg for AIB.

I guess thats the difference then.....I'm pretty sure that White was never used as Asbestos Insulation Board (AIB) that was only the blue and brown.

Never quite as worried by the white. Anyway turns out I was slightly wrong, Asbestolux, does contain brown Asbestos (was getting confused with supalux) meaning they are AIB.

But going back to the OP - you should just get a test done by a local firm. Make sure they do not also do the removal as well, it may be that they then try to sell certain services to their benefit

In Bristol, I rely on a guy who charges about 50quid a sample and get the telephone results the same day and a certificate on e-mail the next.

At least this way you can make an informed decision and take some advice from an impartial expert - but be warned you will get charged an arm and a leg for AIB.

The council offices down behind Trinity Rd Police station.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back