Asbestos removal

Tjs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi how much would it roughly be these days to remove tiles that I think are made of asbestos, these are on a garage roof and not something I'd want to do myself?

Sponsored Links
You can safely remove them if you keep them wet, since they won't make dust when wet. but pay to get them taken away, put them in a heavy duty plastic bag that can be sealed. A fine spray of water will do.

As Peter says, keep them damp.

Do not break them (so no dropping, throwing... etc)

Double bag them in heavy duty bags and seal with duck tape.

If possible, mark with "DANGER ASBESTOS"

Do not vacuum or sweep up any dust. Wipe it up with wet cloths. Again, double bag and seal the cloths.

Wear protective overalls, hair cover, gloves and good dust mask / respirator and shoe covers. Dispose of all. double bags and seal.

These are ideal recommendations. The more you follow the better. But most are probably overkill if the tiles are in sound condition and you are careful.

Fubar.

I paid approx £600 to have a complete garage dismantled and disposed of in 2011, best advice is to seek several quotes. Whoever does the work will need to be a licenced waste carrier and insist they provide you with a copy of the consignment note provided by the Environment Agency.

This paperwork should state where the waste has come from (your address), the carrier's address, and the address of the site where the waste is to be taken. This covers you, should the waste be flytipped and traced back to you then you run the risk of prosecution!

Sponsored Links
Many thanks everyone. That gives me a rough idea as no way am I removing them, I knew you can't break them up etc as the fibres will be airborne, but defo not a DIY job for me. Thank you. :D

You can get them checked for very little money. I had some corrugated sheets checked for (IIRC) £20 or so. Once you know what you are dealing with then you can plan and work accordingly.

andytw

Up until recently you could dispose of Asbestos for free :(

Ring your local council, or use their website, and they shall give you a list of registered Asbestos collection centres.

My local council charges buy the tonne, so even one board is around £150 :unsure:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back