Asbestos

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im currently about to embark on a refurbishment of a 1955 - 1960ish home in manchester but im worried about asbestos, especially after reading many of the things i can find online. I would be doing much of the work myself.

It seems its could be just about anywhere, and apart from a few photos online I cant easily tell what is and what isnt.

Most of the house hasn't been worked on for many years but is in a good state of repair, it does have new windows and a new boiler / central heating system but im not sure how confident i would be in the fitters looking for asbestos.

the ceiling in the main house is wood chip no artex to be found, but i dont know if there would be any under this like AIB etc.

the main thing that worries me is an extension and the roof.

the extension looks to be between 20 and 30 years old, it has a flat roof and the ceiling looks to be some kind of board but no idea what, this ceiling is in the upstairs bedroom above which is a flat felt like roof. and the kitchen ceiling was done at the same time in probably the same way. the ceilings in the kitchen have strip lights on them.

the house roof is a cement coloured tile with an almost corrigated look, all the houses seem to be the same construction in the street and none that i can see have had the roof worked on or changed. I havent spotted anything that obviously looks like asbestos so far.

whats the best next step, should i get a proper survey done to get stuff tested? and how much is it likely to cost?

I am planning to remove walls, install spots, open up fireplaces and such so I would not like any surprises.

here are some pictures

the kitchen extension
5.jpg

4.jpg

3.jpg

one of the bedrooms
6.jpg

upstairs extension
9.jpg

bathroom
8.jpg

house front
1.jpg

ill see if i can find another angle of the roof too

thanks

Sponsored Links
There is only one answer that will answer the question with certainty that is to get a survey done and samples of any suspect areas.

Normality the ceilings that are most suspect regarding asbestos are either Artexed ones where the coating is the problem, or ceilings that appear to be made of panels with battens running across the ceiling dividing it into small areas about 6' X 4' or thereabouts.

As to cost, the mimium a visit will cost is about £100 plus maybe £20 to £25 per sample taken and tested

Find a local company from this site and get a quote is the best bet.

http://www.arca.org.uk/

Well done for thinking about it before you are sitting in a pile of building rubble and in a total panic ;)

Good luck
footprints

the above link only gets be asbestos removal contractors not surveyers, had 4 emails back now to say they dont do surveys, am i looking in the wrong place?

so far in terms of surveys i've had two quotes back from places I found via google.

The first was £295+ VAT

The second was £490 + VAT

the fist seemed prices until i got the second!

any other tips?

thanks

Sponsored Links
just had another quote in, refurb survey for £450 plus VAT including 2 free samples. Each sample after that is £16 each.

this is based on 8 rooms.

ill keep the thread updated for future searches to be in with an idea of what they are looking at.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back