Assistance with building regs requests

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I've submitted my building plans to the local council for a single story rear extension. They have come back to me with some bits I need to cover in my application.

Could anyone help me out with what more I could do to cover it?

1. Foundataions (i've stated):
All fonudations to be taken down to a min of 1m or to match the existing house to a suitable load bearing strata. To be inspected & Approved by BC.

They have now asked:A1 Loading:
Please confirm that the size and depth of the proposed foundations will be suitable for the subsoil conditions encountered.

How do I do this?

2. F1 MEANS OF VENTILATION
Background ventilation should be provided to all new habitable rooms with a total free area of 8000mm2.

What should I be writing to address this?

Sponsored Links
You need to work out the bearing of the soil. If it's clay, a 600mm wide foundation at 1m deep will cover 99% of situations.

Habitable rooms should have trickle vents providing 8000mm² of free ventilation and non habitable rooms 4000mm².

thank you I'm not exactly sure of soil type. Will i need to dig down to find out?

Trickle vents on windows will likely cover the requirement then. I will specify this on the plans including u value

Sponsored Links
PCAnimal; you're making too much of this.

Just write a note on the plan copying that written by the building inspector, or something like: 'foundation design/depth to satisfaction of building inspector' or words to that effect.

The trickle-vent note you seem to have sorted.

Incidentally, have you done the plans yourself? If so, you've done very well to just have two amendment notes required by building control.
I've sent plans in for clients for years, and although I put copious notes on them, they always look for something they assume I've forgotten - it's just a game to them. They've got the time to indulge in this pastime, eg 'wall ties to be stainless steel' etc etc.

Thanks for all your input.

I know little about structural engineering for sure! I'm not bad on google though. Ive been able to review a number of similar plans for the area.

The only other things which came back were regarding the type of lighting i will use.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back