Assistance with old to new switch wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I have an issue with replacing switches in my dining room since I cannot readily translate the connections from the old to the new switches. I have looked here using search first and have found some answers that come near to my scenario but aren't quite the same. So here goes ...

I have a wall light and a ceiling light. I have a separate dimmer switch that operates the ceiling light and a separate double switch that turns each light on and off.

Current switch wiring is as follows:

1. Dimmer (C, L1 and L2)

There are two cables each with usual earth connections. One has red to L2 and black to L1. The other cable has red to C, blue to L1 and yellow to L2.

2. Double switch (A, A1, A2, B, B1, B2)

As for the dimmer there are two cables each with usual earth connections. One has red to B and black to B1. The other has red to A, blue to A1 and yellow to A2. B2 is unused.

The new switches have connections as follows:

1. Dimmer (L, Sw and a connection with a symbol that looks like a wavy line with an arrow through it)

2. 2 gang 2 way switch (com, com on top and 1 way, 2 way, 1 way, 2 way below)

Any help anyone can give on the correct way to replace the switches would be really appreciated.

Apologies if I have missed a post that already covers this (in which case just point me in the right direction) :D

Sponsored Links
Firstly, that fancy dimmer cannot be used in the two way circuit you have. it is designed to work with another slave dimmer at the other end, and probably your wiring isnt laid out to accomodate it.
Return it to the shop and get a standard push dimmer.

Re the 2 gang switch/ You need to get your head round how the two switches are laid out. Sounds like they are just side by side.
Then just transpose the wiring from the old switch.

COM = A COM = B
L1 = A1 L1 = B1
L2 = A2 L2 = B2

Get it?

Sponsored Links
Thanks, BAS

We are all still learning............ ;)

Now that's what I call service :)

Speedy reply much appreciated and sounds logical so hopefully I can now get that sorted. Shame about the fancy dimmer though. Ah well, back to the store then for a push version.

Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back