astra alternator question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
what is the max power i can pull from the alternator on my car?

its an 04 astra estate with a 1.7CDTI engine. id imagine that the engines are common for all this model car?

Sponsored Links
The Power and Voltage outputs of the Alternator should be listed in the Manual for the Car..

If it is typical of GM cars though, it will be simply sufficient to power the electrical systems when the car is running and to charge the battery..so probably an output in the region of 20 to 30A at 12V (240w to 360W). But don't take this as the case 100%

andy, look on the alternater itself, it should say on it, on a sort of ratings plate. I'm sure my punto had a 60A alternator, but then yours is a vauxhall . . . :LOL: :rolleyes:

why do you want to know anyway? chavvin it up with a meaty stereo system? ;)

crafty1289 said:
why do you want to know anyway? chavvin it up with a meaty stereo system? ;)

no. to power an inverter. the inverter can draw 80A at full load

Sponsored Links
Andy, you cannot connect the Inverter to the ALternator, this load will need to be connected directly to the Battery Terminals, and protected with the apporiate fuse.

What size Inverter is it your running and why? 80A@12V is 960W..a very odd size of Inverter indeed..most are 120W, 240W, 300W, 500W 800W 100W etc..

Then they have peak loads, momentary loads that can exceed the rated output for a few seconds at most, and this is usually 18% to 30% of the rated loading..

Big_Spark said:
Andy, you cannot connect the Inverter to the ALternator, this load will need to be connected directly to the Battery Terminals, and protected with the apporiate fuse.

What size Inverter is it your running and why? 80A@12V is 960W..a very odd size of Inverter indeed..most are 120W, 240W, 300W, 500W 800W 100W etc..

Then they have peak loads, momentary loads that can exceed the rated output for a few seconds at most, and this is usually 18% to 30% of the rated loading..

its an 800W inverter and will be connected to the battery. but if its runnin at high power (altho max load will usually be 400W, which inverter manual says is around 40A) then the battery aint gonna last long without the engine running

Andy, that is normal I am afraid. Yes you can fit a higher rated battery to the car, but even a 800A/hr Battery will only last about 1.5 hours if you use the inverter at 400W..and you still want to start the car as well!!

I have an inverter fitted in my Van, 3.1kW, it is connected to a set of 6 12V 1200A/hr Caravan Batteries mounted in the back of the Van. These are trickle charged from an oversized Alternator I had fitted to the van.

It is possible to have a secondary alternator fitted to a vehicle, but I would suggest a mechanic does this unless you know a lot about modern car mechanicals.

Big_Spark said:
. . . 800A/hr Battery . . . 1200A/hr Caravan Batteries .

Are you sure about those figures? :eek: i didnt think they made batteries that big.

When I was into car stereos, people with the really powerful systems would always fit a higher-rated alternator to the car. Some would have a second one fitted, but this is quite an involved job.

Diesels always had higher-rated alternators, 80-100A on something Astra-sized and diesel-powered.

As your Astra has electric air-con and electro-hydraulic power steering (on some cars these are both powered directly off the engine), it might even be more.

May I ask what you will be powering off the inverter? Only you might find it cheaper and easier to go for 12V-powered or battery-powered stuff than to install an inverter, uprated battery, uprated alternator.

crafty1289 said:
Are you sure about those figures? :eek: i didnt think they made batteries that big.

I've not seen any of that capacity, but I wouldn't be surprised if they do! "Leisure batteries". Designed to be fully-discharged without knackering them. They usually don't have the CCA (cold-cranking amps) output of other batteries though.

I've seen bass-vans loaded up with arrays of cells that can deliver 20,000 CCA! 20,000 amps, at 14V. 280kW, nice.

You should see the cables they use :LOL:

inverter is used to power many things. not just 1 thing. altho total power is normally 400W max.

still havent been able to look at alternator. too cold and wet outside. and i hate snow.

sounds silly but why dont you just get one of those little 800w suitecase generators that sell for about £90

I presume you dont need power on the move, thats why you are asking how long the battery will last ?

As a guide, most astras are fitted with a 90amp alternator unless its a top model with all the bits like lecky heated seats in which case it will be a 120

Mick Leek said:
I presume you dont need power on the move, thats why you are asking how long the battery will last ?

i need power on the move. otherwise the alternator wouldnt be generating power. at no point did i ask how long the battery would last.
Mick Leek said:
As a guide, most astras are fitted with a 90amp alternator unless its a top model with all the bits like lecky heated seats in which case it will be a 120

thanx

i need power on the move. otherwise the alternator wouldnt be generating power. at no point did i ask how long the battery would last.

Oh Shirty, you a primary school teacher by any chance

I read the other posts and some were mentioning battery will only last this long and so on and also you will need to start the car.

Read between the lines a little i guess, was only trying to help

Will keep my mouth shut in future

I set mine up with a secondary battery, a leisure battery 110AH.
This used the standard alternator, but i wired in a split charge module from Maplin. With that it will always charge the service battery first as needed, then any excess current was deposited into the second battery.
That made certain i wont drain my service battery whilst using the inverter.
You may run down the aux battery if your using it for long periods at high load, but you wont need a tow rope.

Sponsored Links
Back