Astra G 2.2 - Electrical Problem?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have an Astra G 2.2. It was working just fine, no issues. Recently passed MOT with no advisories or issues.

Today I topped up the oil and replaced the overhead interior bulbs with LEDs. They aren't the "boy-racer" LEDs bought cheaply online. They are basic white LEDs designed and spec'd for the car bought from Halfords. They fitted no problem and worked great, still no issues.

I then took the car out for a drive and for the first 30 minutes things were fine. Then I was driving along and suddenly the red battery light came on and I lost traction control, ABS, powering steering and airbags (the warning lights for all these came on). The car was still running and I managed to drive home, very slowly and carefully.

The interior and exterior lights are still working, although the high beams won't go on. Radio, wipers and indicators will still come on, but the car won't start after I turned it off when I got back.

I also have the "Engine Electrical Fault" fault light on now.

I tested the battery with a voltmeter while still connected and the engine running and with the engine not and it clocks in at 9.10V.

I find it coincidental this only happened when I fitted the new LED bulbs in the interior but does anyone have a better idea of what this is?

Sponsored Links
Coincidentally or otherwise, it would seem that your cars alternator has called it a day for some reason.......check the drive belt first and then consider replacing it.
Your car is dependant on a healthy voltage for many of its systems, hence the unexpected failures.
John :)

Yes a lot of cars (including Astra-G) have a wonderful 'feature' which means the power steering pump cuts out as soon as the alternator goes.

My wife's Corsa-C isn't quite as crap, although P/S does give out eventually. I was able to keep the engine and sidelights going even when the P/S, Airbag, Body Control Module (inc dipped/main beam) and dashboard had all called it a day.

Looks like a need a new alternator. Is the car still safe(ish) to drive to the garage for repair. I can get it started by charging battery and although driving without power steering is difficult I can manage if I take it slow. Basically if I drive it to the garage will it do any damage so long as I take it slow and careful? I really don't want to pay the £60 pickup few if I can avoid it.

Sponsored Links
We can't recommend it, but that's what I'd probably do - so long as its not far.
I can't comment on any possible damage as I've never had to do it!
John :)

Back