Athlon X2 v's Intel Core 2 Duo

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
currently have an old Athlon 600MHz system, had it for a good few years and it's never let me down ... only thing that can annoy slightly is the noise caused by fans etc ... you don't notice it so much when using the PC, but when you turn it off the quietness is bliss!

thinking about going for a new PC running the Athlon X2 processor, however something that's putting me off this time round is the noise thing again. i read on a website that the latest generation athlon systems aren't any better for noise (due to cooling requirements - fans) and that people wanting a quieter PC should opt for one of the Intel's.

anyone on here run a system with the Core 2 Duo (or know someone who does?) and if yes is it reasonable quiet?

Sponsored Links
I run an athlon x2 3800, much quieter than the older ones you refer to, fans have got much quieter - although you can still get screamers ;) - actually the fan on my vid card is louder than my cpu fan now but it comes on and off as needed.
I dont know what site you refer to but the newer amd's are a lot better. Bear in mind the retail fans supplied with amd's arnt as quiet as the retail intel ones.

Not a bad system at all, I would however consider asking how much they would want for faster memory, and I also suggest demanding that the hard drive isnt a maxtor.
Off the top of my head we would do a similar system for about £150-£250 cheaper (with xp pro- doesnt say what o/s) - but our onsite warranty is local area only at the mo. This isnt a plug, its just to give you an idea, I'm not trying to sell you one!

Sponsored Links
hiya diy fun uk why not build one diy for fun hey ? eggplant is wright memory is slow u want ddr2 800 mhz

suffolklad said:
hiya diy fun uk why not build one diy for fun hey ? eggplant is wright memory is slow u want ddr2 800 mhz

believe it or not i work in IT :oops: but i'm more of a penpusher these days and tbh i've never really been into hands on. i could upgrade the memory to 900mhz for £100 but tbh i reckon the system as it stands will more than meet my needs for the next 5 years or so. my concern is the noise it might make, as i say my current athlon system is quite noisy, with all the fans these 'modern' things need i'm concerned it'll sound like a helicopter in my room :eek:

diy_fun_uk said:
believe it or not i work in IT

I used to say that if I worked as a stoker, and all day long I shovelled coal into a huge boiler for a living, the one thing I wouldn't do was to buy myself a small boiler at home, so that when I knocked off I could shovel coal into it for relaxation!

ive read these dual core cpus are cooler running but i have yet to buy one so dont know

diy_fun_uk wrote:
believe it or not i work in IT

I used to say that if I worked as a stoker, and all day long I shovelled coal into a huge boiler for a living, the one thing I wouldn't do was to buy myself a small boiler at home, so that when I knocked off I could shovel coal into it for relaxation!

I work in IT, got rudely awoken at 5am, got back in about 10pm and here I am ! have a customers pc right next to me that needs sorting for tomrrow - everyone to their own I suppose.

ive read these dual core cpus are cooler running

They are - and quick too

i must buy one then eggplant . i just keep looking at price of 3800 athlon dual chip around £100 and think the price will come down lower soon what u think? will price drop when vista comes out?

They'll definately keep coming down - as faster ones ome out, I payed £200 for mine in April......

Sponsored Links
Back