Attached Garage Extension! Help please!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, We planning to add an attached garage between us and our neighbour. I have a question:

The house next door is stepped back from our house and their garage is stepped back from their house. Our garage would fit between us and his garage. All the other garages on the estate are level with the garage next door. We are wanting to bring ours forward from his (but stepped back from our house) to prevent us losing the small garden we have. My question is if all the garages are level with each other on the estate what are our chances of being granted planning??

Any thoughts are welcomed :)

Sponsored Links
How old is the estate?

There's a good chance that a single storey garage joined to the side of the house does not need planning permission, it would be classed as 'permitted development'. See here: http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/extensions/

However, I ask how old your estate is because anything built within the last say 25 years will likely have restrictions as to what can be done under permitted development, but what you are proposing doesn't sound too contentious anyway. Not sure whose gonna be that bothered that your garage has a slightly different set-back to the rest, if it were forward of the front wall that might be an issue but don’t think I’d be too worried here. You never know though ….

So first thing to do is find out if your house has its permitted development rights or not.

So how old is the estate?

Thank you!

In regards to permitted development unfortunately we would not be able to build on this basis - or so I believe. Please correct me if I am wrong... The house is only 4400mm wide... the garage would be 2500mm. Believe it has to be no more than 50% of the width of the existing building? Could very well be wrong though! :)

The estate is 20 years old.

Yes you are bang on, you are limited to half the width of the house so planning permission is a must.

Seeing as you need planning permission whatever the age and whether your house has its PD rights or not is now irrelevant.

Nobody can really say if you will be granted or not, on the face of it with the information we have I would say you have a pretty good chance, maybe post some photos?

Sponsored Links
Sounds like there is a good chance to get planning. You would be allowed to build it under PD if it were 2.2m and you only want an extra foot. The biggest issue would be if the neighbour complained, how likely is that?

Sounds like there is a good chance to get planning. You would be allowed to build it under PD if it were 2.2m and you only want an extra foot. The biggest issue would be if the neighbour complained, how likely is that?

Nah, it would be two-storey and on the side, so not p.d. :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back