Attaching a shower tray to the wall - techniques / ideas

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I will soon be attaching our Mira Flight quadrant shower tray to the walls. I've also bought the riser kit for it, so the tray is on legs.

I have a few thoughts and questions regarding the use of silicone and/or grab adhesive (gripfill) to secure it to the walls.

Here is a picture of the tray and where it will go. (The tray isn't blue by the way, it's just still got the protective plastic on it :) ).

After reading some other threads and forums, I've decided to add battens to the walls (like you would for a bath). Here is a picture of the 2 battens.

I've also drilled into the wall and fashioned a couple clamps from 2 short lengths of 2"x1" timber. These will be screwed into the wall with coach screws and will tuck under the tray to clamp it against the walls (again like you would for a bath). Here is a picture showing the timber clamps in place.

And here is a view of one of the battens and clamps underneath the tray.

I've read on other threads that most of you guys use silicon to attach shower trays to a wall. Why do you do this? I'm asking because at the end of the day, the silicone that's really responsible for waterproofing the shower tray is actually added after the tiling stage, and it goes in the 3-4mm gap between the top of the tray and the bottom row of tiles. So would you be better off using something like gripfill? Or do you use silicone because it makes the task of removing the tray a bit (or maybe a LOT) easier, if there's ever a problem in the future?

A couple of other ideas

1. The tray has a total of 5 legs on it and I was thinking about putting a small blob of gripfill under each leg for bit of extra hold/stability.

Does this seem like a good or bad idea?

2. I've also thought about running a bead of gripfill along the top of the battens, ie here

Does this seen like a good or bad idea, or will using gripfill mean the tray will be almost impossible to remove and replace it there's ever a problem?

So how do you guys attach your shower trays to the wall?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
I use Sticks Like Sh*t. Gripfill isn't really designed for damp conditions.

Can't say that I've ever bothered with sticking the legs down, if it's well secured to the wall it won't move

I use Sticks Like Sh*t. Gripfill isn't really designed for damp conditions.

Thanks for replying, and the Sticks Like Sh*t tip.

Roughly how much do you put on?

Do you run a line of it like this

or apply it in a wavy pattern like this

or a few of blobs like this

or some other way?

cheers

Some sort of continuous bead, it provides a secondary water seal in the event that the grouting or silicone fails

Sponsored Links
Only recommendation I would give is use a waterproofed grip, wetgrab etc, given it's in a potentially wet/damp area and may be needed as a supplementary seal if water gets past the primary seal.

Some sort of continuous bead, it provides a secondary water seal in the event that the grouting or silicone fails

I can see the logic in this, so I'm going to use a continuous bead of Sticks Like Sh*t along the back of the tray, like this

I'm also going to put a few of blobs of Sticks Like Sh*t on the top of battens, like this.

To be honest, without any sticking products on, when the timber clamps are tightened up, the tray is absolutely rock solid anyway. So I won't bother putting any on the legs.

Thanks for all the replies.

cheers

Only thing I would mention is albeit it is a great adhesive, it is only water resistant and not waterproof.

Given it's a wet area and being used as a secondary seal, I'd use a waterproof adhesive, but that's just me.

Only thing I would mention is albeit it is a great adhesive, it is only water resistant and not waterproof.

Given it's a wet area and being used as a secondary seal, I'd use a waterproof adhesive, but that's just me.

Can you give me some example products?

Edit : you use wetgrab, just re-read your other post.

SLS is weatherproof, suitable for use outdoors and underwater, sounds pretty waterproof to me!

SLS is weatherproof, suitable for use outdoors and underwater, sounds pretty waterproof to me!

I guess its down to what we are talking about. SLS adhesive is only water resistant, SLS sealant is waterproof but it's not an adhesive, so depends on what the OP wants to use to fix the tray to the wall I guess??

Wetgrab is best of both, it's a waterproof adhesive usable in water that stays flexible like a sealant, that was all I meant.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back