Attaching extractor fan to air brick

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Greetings all. My kitchen has an air brick installed in it, and I'm looking to install an extractor fan.

Can I simply install an extractor fan on top of the air brick and bob's my uncle, or do I need to drill through/remove/modify the air brick before everything will work properly?

Thanks muchly.

Sponsored Links
You need to remove the air bricks and create a completely open cavity through the wall. Install a pipe through, and a grill on the outside. The extrctor fan won't work properly with the resistance of an air brick.

Cheers Steve, appreciate it.

D'ya reckon I can just drill out an appropriately sized hole in the brick to admit the ducting (as you would do with a normal brick wall), or do you think the whole thing should go?

Ta.

Hmmm you should have a cover on the outside of the hole to stop debris coming in. And it looks rough leaving it open. Can you attach such a cover to the regaining Ayr brick?

Sponsored Links
I'll attach a vent to the outside of the house to keep things clean and stop draughts coming in – was envisaging drilling out both inside and outside bricks and ducting between them.

Unless you think only the inside brick needs removing, and attaching ducting to the inside of the outer airbrick, if that makes sense?

Ta again

D'ya reckon I can just drill out an appropriately sized hole in the brick to admit the ducting (as you would do with a normal brick wall), or do you think the whole thing should go?

For what it is worth I recently replaced a 9x6 high level air brick with an extractor fan. Just stitch drill a bed and perp joint around the air brick to pull it out (inside and out). Pop in a short length of soil pipe and make good brickwork / blockwork inside and out and finally fit the fan. Get the fan before you start so that any cable chasing can be done to suit the position for wiring on the fan. Soil pipe as link

http://www.wickes.co.uk/external-soil-wc-connector/invt/435231/

Larger fans will need a bit more work so advise if using bigger

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back