AVAST not free?

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
I use Norton myself, so am not familiar with Avast, but a friend got some infection, and after looking at //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=182013
I downloaded Avast for them. I thought it was free, but it says it is a 60-day Demo version. Have I done something wrong? What should I do?

Sponsored Links
I think avast is available as either Home or professional. AFAIK the Home edition is free - although may require registration to activate.

Have a look here http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.html - is this the same application?

EDIT: Just checked the link. Seems you have to register within 60 days of loading the application for a a licence key to get 12 months support this should turn the demo into the full blown app.

You've downloaded the Pro demo version, avast home is free, a better bet is Avira Antivirus.

Sponsored Links
I use Norton myself, so am not familiar with Avast

A brave man indeed using Norton. :eek:

I hear that they've improved it and it's no longer the resource hog it used to be - whether that's true or not remains to be seen ;) The free products do the job just as well anyway.

If the Avast website is anything like the AVG one, they do their level best to steer you towards the paid product - you have to delve a bit to get the free one :rolleyes:

Norton 360 is meant to be a big improvement. Unless I get a free trial copy I won't be buying it to find out.

AVAST home edition is indeed free. It requires registration within 60 days. It certainly warns you near the end of the 60 days. All you need do is request a licence key from their website. You will be emailed a licence, copy and paste it into the program and hey presto 13 months of free-ness.
It doesn't unlock a 'full-blown product' it just 'registers' the product.

AVAST free edition was an award winner for 2008, i uses it on all my builds.
Avira is also good, but i just stick with AVAST for familiarity reasons i guess.

I complement it with malwarebytes and superantispyware if i get any problems AVAST cannot deal with.

Back