B&Q New Returns Policy on Electrical Items - WARNING

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Trevs707

Read this if you intend to purchase any electrical item from B&Q. It could just be that the staff got it wrong, but then again it could be real....

On the 18th September 2013 I purchased an 1100Watt Oil Radiator from the store in Belvedere, Kent. That evening I tested its performance on maximum settings in a small room within the house. The results were disappointing and the unit would certainly not be able to cope during really cold weather.

I returned the unit to the store on the 19th September 2013 where the returns member of staff told me that because I had plugged it in, she could not accept the return until it had been tested in-store! She advised me that this was a new policy but could not explain what the results of such testing would mean to me. After waiting for 15 minutes for a member of staff to conduct the test, I asked to see the duty Manager as I wanted the policy explained to me and what the results would mean. After an additional 5 minutes another member of staff arrived but once again could not explain the meaning of such a policy. Finally after some debate I received my refund without any testing being performed.

This new policy is not publicised anywhere in store and members of staff do not understand what it is for or how the outcome of any such testing affects the customer. In addition it appears to be at odds with your “45-day returns policy”.

Sponsored Links
Ignore the other poster, yours was very helpful. I'm going to try and find out more about their policy and whether it really has been implemented.

Cheers
Mal

1100w is quite a low powered radiator so not surprised its heat output was low
would keep the chill off and not much else
your lucky they took it back as its a used item ;)

Sponsored Links
Ignore the other poster, yours was very helpful. I'm going to try and find out more about their policy and whether it really has been implemented.

Cheers
Mal

Thanks Mal.

I have emailed their Head Office to see if their is a new policy or if the staff have just got it wrong.

My argument to them was that if it was working properly, it was not fit for purpose. The box said it was suitable to warm an area that was smaller than my box room. Whilst I accept "warm an area" is subjective, it didn't feel very warm in there to me despite leaving it on the max settings.

I bought an electric flymo from then last year, I took it home and 'tried' to cut the grass. The machine was faulty, I took it back and was told that I couldn't exchange it as I have already used it and that it had to be tested by the store to see the fault.

Somehow my loud voice and complaining got me a full refund within 10 minutes.

Andy

I bought an electric flymo from then last year, I took it home and 'tried' to cut the grass. The machine was faulty, I took it back and was told that I couldn't exchange it as I have already used it and that it had to be tested by the store to see the fault.

Somehow my loud voice and complaining got me a full refund within 10 minutes.

Andy

It's starting to sound like the staff in Belvedere were right and there is a new returns policy in force.

So if, for example, you received an electric shock when you plugged it in, do they intend to test that in store as well? :mrgreen:

Cheers
Mal

Thanks Mal.

I have emailed their Head Office to see if their is a new policy or if the staff have just got it wrong.

I, for one, would be interested to hear their response so I'd be grateful if you could keep us updated.

My argument to them was that if it was working properly, it was not fit for purpose. The box said it was suitable to warm an area that was smaller than my box room. Whilst I accept "warm an area" is subjective, it didn't feel very warm in there to me despite leaving it on the max settings.

yes your correct if the description can unreasonably raise your expectation and its not up to it its not fit for purpose

i always prefer the maximum as in 2.5-3kw fan heater much more efficient at reaching working temperature and once there a very similar price to run with only the fan maxing any difference
a fan heater can also aim the heat at the working area

was the the "box room" sized area well insulated and within the main walls off the house ??

yes your correct if the description can unreasonably raise your expectation and its not up to it its not fit for purpose

i always prefer the maximum as in 2.5-3kw fan heater much more efficient at reaching working temperature and once there a very similar price to run with only the fan maxing any difference

was the the "box room" sized area well insulated and within the main walls off the house ??[/quote]

To be fair, apart from double glazed windows and loft insulation no it's not. It is on the corner of the building with 9" walls. Downstairs I have used kingstherm boards on the external walls and ceiling; and it makes a real difference. When I decorate the box room I'll do the same.

I think that you are correct in that the kw was too low. It does beg the question where would these 1100kw oil radiators be of any use.

You got your refund. End of!

You've made one post, and that is a whinge. There are enough moaning old gits on here - we don't need another one!

What a total idiot.

It's a warning not a whinge and I view my first post as helpful. If everyone on the forum is like you, I think I won't bother from visiting it anymore.

I rest my case!

was the the "box room" sized area well insulated and within the main walls off the house ??

Just to add....
There is nothing on the box about room specification; just size. Also, given the fact that the temperature is still mild, I would have expected to have felt a difference when entering the room.

Anyway guys I think that we are digressing a little. The point of this post was to highlight what appears to be a change in B&Q Returns Policy on electrical items and what the results of any tests they conduct mean to you. For example, what happens if your item has an intermittent fault that the store cannot reproduce!

Once I have a response from B&Q Head Office regarding this policy I’ll post it here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back