B&Q trade Card - WARNING

I intend to carry on as usual ordering through their website, my concern is that is changing and I don't like change when something works well.

exactly like you i've used them a fair bit especially at weekends / late evenings and was happy with the discount system. now a pensioner gets a better deal than a tradesman!!

Sponsored Links
I have all but given up with that shed. The trade counter is staffed by idiots and the system (if that is what it is) they work within is awful. Slow, tiny space at the end of the store, rubbish service. Most of the stuff I take thru wont scan or is mis-priced. Today I tried to go thru with some loft insulation only to be told "oh, you cant come thru here with that - it comes up at £200 a piece" <much laughing from the "staff"> So, after queing, I then had to go to the self-service checkouts and queue there as well.

I try to shop elsewhere if i can, and the price has to be very low indeed to make me want to go there.

I've got a B and Q shed with a TradePoint thingy really close to my house, so tend to end up in there for some of my materials etc and I have to say, on the whole it's a bit of a nightmare.

At least 5 or 6 times I've gone in and asked for something from the catalogue only to be told it's not in stock but low and behold there is a very similar item available on the shop floor but at Joe Public prices. :rolleyes: :evil:

I try and stick with Travis as much as I can now.

Sponsored Links
I intend to carry on as usual ordering through their website, my concern is that is changing and I don't like change when something works well.

exactly like you i've used them a fair bit especially at weekends / late evenings and was happy with the discount system. now a pensioner gets a better deal than a tradesman!!

please tell how... and what was their discounts... not on every product... just a volume cheque at the end of the month..

but only on certain products....

i have a trade point card and admittedly the offer is not as good as the rebate scheme they had, but it is just the same prie as screwfix now from the catalogue. when considering hey both owned by kingfisher, no suoprises there. however my store will honour the catalogue price if not in stock and i have to get off shelf. also yesterday gave me 10% off a dewalt router at £250.00 just by asking the trade manager. overall i agree it is a pain and a lot of stock issues. but i am relatively happy with my branch , i do spend approx £20k p/a in there tho.

I gave up on them recently, as stated old system was much better and have always had issues with stock problems at my local, find it better (for paints at least) to go to my local independent now, always thought they were dearer but after having a chat with the guy said he will do me special rates so were all happy and I am supporting the independents too. B&Q will loose many traders now I think

I suggest cutting up your TradePoint card and going elsewhere with one of the catalogues. All good REAL TRADE merchants will beat the prices.

Fact is, once you add VAT on to the prices in the catalogue, many of them are identical to the retail prices. I have even checked some prices and found that I pay more!! Their appliances are awful prices and have the longest wait times of any supplier I know, UP TO 6 WEEKS!

Then there is the multibuy... here is an example for you...
if you buy 1 it will be £5 each
if you buy 5 they are £3.50 each

but did you know if you buy 5 you can then instantly return 4 of them and you will have only paid £3.50 for that single 1 because of how their tills work.

I personally would not use them, most of their staff are clueless and dont really know when you will get your delivery because of all of the problems with their systems.

I ordered 36V drill, it should have been in the store for me next day, 2 weeks later it had still not arrived after repeated promises. I ended up cancelling and will no longer use them.

please tell how... and what was their discounts... not on every product... just a volume cheque at the end of the month..

but only on certain products....

Clearly you are somehow linked with them if you are trying to question it at all.

Appliances - Pensioner gets 10% vs Trade max of 5%

Cement mixers! - (could you get more of a trade item?) Tradesmen pay the same as retail, pensioners get 10% off.

Lighting - Trade no discount, pensioners get 10%

Tiles, laminate, carpet - Trade get a tiny (5% max) discount on SELECTED ones and pensioners get 10% on ALL of them.

Thats just a few off the top of my head. But I guarantee, as a tradesman visiting B&Q (tradepoint) you are getting laughed at by pensioners who pay less!

Take my earlier advice, take your trade catalogue to other merchants and they will beat the prices.

B&Q between the hours of 1730-2000hrs Mon-Fri, 1200-2000hrs Sat and all day Sunday= convenient when merchants are closed and that outweighs the lack of discount.

B&Q is all about convenience for me, getting stuff from one place rather than 2 or 3.

Being able to finish a job late in the day because materials are still available when merchants are closed.

The discount is incidental, my time wasted, costs more.

That's about it, imho.

We don't have a local B&Q but the other week I was working close to one and went in to purchase £140 + of electrical equipment.

As the till lady was scanning I asked for a couple of carrier bags and was told I would have to pay for them.

Said to scanner, suggest you put this lot back on the shelf, I ain't spending over a hundred pounds and then being charged for a couple of bags.

Then walked out.

Sponsored Links
Back