Back boiler and grate position

Sponsored Links
Ok managed to get it as clean as I'm going to get it without getting an actual scrubbing brush on it, I'll be another few days if I do that haha

But here's a photo of it empty. :)

I'm now filthy and trying to pluck up the courage for a bath :confused:

I'll post a picture of it with the grate too.

Many thanks again
:)

I wish I had a fiver for every solid fuel fire I built!!
Small 'pup' fire bricks, which came in sets & a small copper or stainless steel 'pan loaf' back boiler.
Add to that a 'damper' for the top of the rear flue way, Grate & fire front......job done!!!!!

I bet the smart rsoles & Google warriors on here couldn't build one??

Ok not sure why that didn't upload, try again

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    97.4 KB · Views: 330
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    106.4 KB · Views: 311
Sponsored Links
That grate is too high.....the flames and hot gases need to be drawn through that arch in the back boiler. Through the arch, there should also be an unobstructed passage for the flue gases to head for the chimney, and its the damper position that allows this to happen.
I'm pretty confident with the grate lower, the void behind the boiler is clear and the dampers open, you'll get hot water right enough! With the damper closed, the fire will just lick up the front of the boiler - with the damper open, the flames should roar through that arch.
John :)

That grate is too high.....the flames and hot gases need to be drawn through that arch in the back boiler. Through the arch, there should also be an unobstructed passage for the flue gases to head for the chimney, and its the damper position that allows this to happen.
I'm pretty confident with the grate lower, the void behind the boiler is clear and the dampers open, you'll get hot water right enough! With the damper closed, the fire will just lick up the front of the boiler - with the damper open, the flames should roar through that arch.

I agree mate. Boiler too low & what the hell is the slot at the top of the boiler???!! Is that the outlet or inlet of the flue way?? It looks like a Milner type fire back. Certainly will be farting at thunder for producing hot water.

I can't see if its actually a slot or just a shadow......if it is a slot I can't for the life of me see why, unless its for getting a soot rake in there :eek:
The installation doesn't look the best - maybe its just some pointing come adrift.

Thank you

We didn't install it, our landlord (cough council cough) did and they're not really bothered by us, most councils tend to be selling off their farms nowadays so we're lucky in that respect.

So I was right, other half is going to get grief now :sneaky: although I've just told him and he's adamant that we need a higher grate :rolleyes: as that's what they have at his parents, one that is above the arch. He is adamant that it then draws the flame and gases down. All I got was 'I know what I'm talking about'. :rolleyes: Unfortunately with him there is no telling him once he's got it in his head. I think the only thing I can do is go buy two grates, one really low one and one really high one and compare them and show him. I've found a low one, anyone know where I could get a super tall one from please?

Yes that's a slot, if you're meaning that line about half way up. Haven't got a clue what for.

I think I'm going to have to give up on the idea of hot water. :cry:

:)

I think he is giving in.

A mentioned the fact that the old grate meant we had hot water and explained that the flame etc has to go through and up the arch. He still wasn't convinced.

Anyway whilst tidying up we found the old grate, he kind of said there it is if you want it. So tomorrow morning when the fire is cold I'm putting the old one back (y)

Thank you all. I'll probably be back with more questions on different subjects. I think next it's the copper stains on the bath. ;)

Xx

I think he is giving in.

A mentioned the fact that the old grate meant we had hot water and explained that the flame etc has to go through and up the arch. He still wasn't convinced.

Anyway whilst tidying up we found the old grate, he kind of said there it is if you want it. So tomorrow morning when the fire is cold I'm putting the old one back (y)

Thank you all. I'll probably be back with more questions on different subjects. I think next it's the copper stains on the bath. ;)

Xx
Oh Caroline, get shot of him now!! He's clearly full of it. I was going to buy a second wife from Thialand, as the present Lady Puller(Olive) has become a Gin soaked drunk. How do ya fancy joining me here at Puller Towers? I also have a fully staffed Shooting Lodge in the Highlands. There's always lashings of boiling hot water & I'm also well accomplished when it comes to the Bedroom gymnastics - if you know what I'm saying:whistle:

A bit of logic for your O.H .If the heat was to be drawn through the grate to go up the boiler it would soon burn out the metal bars. Just ask your local blacksmith for a demo;)

Isn't old technology just wonderful, I was climbing in and around an old John Grundy solid fuel hot air heating system the other day, fascinating design.

Oh Caroline, get shot of him now!! He's clearly full of it. I was going to buy a second wife from Thialand, as the present Lady Puller(Olive) has become a Gin soaked drunk. How do ya fancy joining me here at Puller Towers? I also have a fully staffed Shooting Lodge in the Highlands. There's always lashings of boiling hot water & I'm also well accomplished when it comes to the Bedroom gymnastics - if you know what I'm saying:whistle:

Thank you for the kind offer, you had me at hot water :LOL: and the shooting lodge in the highlands sounds fantastic for a quiet (or not so quiet :sneaky:) getaway

Although as my mum used to say, be careful what you wish for :D:p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back