Back yard drainage problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have 20ft by 10ft area of paving outside the back door. 400mm square paving slabs.

The problem is poor drainage with pools of water on the lower points after rainfall.

I had the thought of a plastic paint bucket or two, with holes drilled in, sunk in underneath the slabs and bedded in with gravel. I can put treated wood boards under the paving slabs to support them.

Easy enough to lift a couple of slabs and bail out the collected water from the buckets.

Can anyone see a problem with this idea ?

Sponsored Links
You might find some plastic drain pipe with holes drilled in easier.

another option would be to dig a moat at the bottom and construct a soak away for the rain to run into.

You might find some plastic drain pipe with holes drilled in easier.

I presume you mean lay the drain pipe under the paving and connect it to the house drains underground pipe ?

I'd be concerned about cutting a hole in the pipe and getting it sealed again.

no I mean as a mini soak away. ie an alternative to buckets.

If you put one bit of pipe under each column my rough sums suggest a soak away of approx 500 litres would be achieved.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
[
you mean lay the drain pipe under the paving and connect it to the house drains underground pipe ?

I'd be concerned about cutting a hole in the pipe and getting it sealed again.
That's no problem if you have seprate rainwater drains - Have a look round and see if you can work out the runs etc - come back to us with pics.(y)

Here's the idea of my initial thoughts. Water collection in a buried bucket surrounded with gravel for filtration. Would probably drain away when rain stops ?

2dqvw1x.jpg

since its butts to your house, ideally you want to be running the water away from your foundations. that's really the benefit of using pipe. you can channel it to the furthest point from your house to soak away.

Wood and paving do not mix. If you want to go with the bucket idea, which will merely delay the pooling until the bucket fills up, you need to use concrete flags rather than wood to cover the top of the bucket.

It will be an improvement on what you have currently but it may not be that much extra work to do it properly.

So the right way is to get the rain water running into the drains ?

The backyard paving is the lowest point on the property so unless its into the drain, I can't run the water off to anywhere.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back