Bad spray paint job on car - any tips .....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

a 'friend' has performed a rather poor spray paint job, and I'm trying to find ways to sort it out - having been quoted over £600 at a garage, I'm looking at what options I may have elsewhere first.

As far as I know, the paint job consists of three layers:

grey primer
colour base coat
clear lacquer

The paint underneath (i.e. the original) wasn't actually SO bad, so in an ideal world, I'd go back to that.

Has anyone got any ideas of a product I could try? I've heard people mention acetate? Any thoughts?

I'd appreciate any help anyone can give

Thanks

For info, the card is a 2005 Ford Focus

Sponsored Links
Primer
Base Coat (black or white usually) <--not if it's a solid colour
Colour coat (metalic or pearlescent)
Clear coat

They're 2 pack paint anyway, or these days water based colour coats with 2 pack clear coat and baked off in an oven, you can't get the same result on your drive way. You also cannot spray 2k paint without all the correct precautions. The notes about working with 2k paint aren't there for a laugh. Isocynate in the blood stream through inhalation, through the skin, through soft tissue of your eyes etc takes quite a bit of work to overcome. You need an air fed mask, you need a compressor powerful enough to run the mask and the gun, you need a filter that can take out particle, oil and moisture or you'll get compressor sludge in your lungs.

You can get reasonable pre-mixed rattle cans made up, from companies like Paints4u or jawel - and these are not two pack so are not as robust. They still need a clear coat, and that will also have to be single pack, so also not as robust. I sprayed an entire car with this stuff and the single pack laquer just is plain old not as good as the factory finish, and petrol disolves it too, and it picks up swirl marks easily

Nozzle

Thanks Nozzle, I'm actually really just trying to remove what's there rather than respray it myself

You've got a snow-ball in hells chance of removing only the gash layer! "Standard thinners" (AKA Gun wash) would do it, but it's potent stuff and would still wreck anything beneath more likely making a worse mess.

Unless it's 2k paint. Then the only way to get rid of it is sand it back.

Nozzle

Sponsored Links
Back