BAIS1 24S

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has been a good boiler but all of a sudden it has started to make "noises and cutting out" the noise appears to be coming from the Full Sequence Ignition Device. the Full Sequence Ignition Device has been replaced with a new one (£140.00 ouch) but still the same problem occurs. It appears that when the boiler is on, the natural but small anount of vibration in the panels cause the FSID to vibrate and the inidcation is that there may be a loose electrical contact loosing its continuty. I have checked all cables and none appear to be loose.

When the boiler fires up and runs it is ok but the problem occurs frequently and with no given time setting - can run for 5 minutes or 15 mins and then it plays up - there is no conistancy

Has anyone had a similar problem or know the answer to this frustrating query.

Thanks your help in anticipation
Rfen

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately "noises" can be a soprano singing an aria or a 747 taking off.

If you can describe the noise better AND see under what boiler operating conditions it happens then I might be able to come to a comclusion.

Also when you hear this noise turn the temperature control up higher and see what happens to the noise.

Tony

Hi
Thanks your reply: Turning the temp up makes no difference. The noise does not appear to be water hammer or water related.

Best explained as a very rapid "clicking" noise similar to a valve sharply and continuously going into on/off mode. The sequence is boiler switches on as normal and may run for a few minutes or an hour or so then 5/6 seconds of background clicking - clicking stops boiler as normal - noise occurs again but a bit louder - stops boiler back to normal - 3rd time clicking back this time very loud lasts about a minute then settles down again to recur again following same pattern as above. Noise levels (1 to 10 - 10 loudest)
stage 1 @ 2 - stage 2 @ 4 - stage 3 -@ 8
Hope this helps

rgds
Rfen

Hi
Thanks your reply: Turning the temp up makes no difference. The noise does not appear to be water hammer or water related.

Best explained as a very rapid "clicking" noise similar to a valve sharply and continuously going into on/off mode. The sequence is boiler switches on as normal and may run for a few minutes or an hour or so then 5/6 seconds of background clicking - clicking stops boiler as normal - noise occurs again but a bit louder - stops boiler back to normal - 3rd time clicking back this time very loud lasts about a minute then settles down again to recur again following same pattern as above. Noise levels (1 to 10 - 10 loudest)
stage 1 @ 2 - stage 2 @ 4 - stage 3 -@ 8
Hope this helps

rgds
Rfen

Sponsored Links
I have to say that if you have described it as I read it them its very odd and unusual.

Replacing the ignition PCB was an unnecessary thing to do as there is nothing inside what could cause that.

The next suspect would be the gas valve actually making the noise. But that would usually only be as a result of a faulty ignition PCB.

To confirm it is the gas valve can you prepare a listening stick of metal that you can put against the gas valve and listen when it makes this noise.

If its not the gas valve then do it on the pump.

The gas valve would not be causing it to make that noise but another component so dont rush into replacing it.

Tony

Hi

I tried the listening bit (how i used to test for noisy tappets on motor cars when engines were simply things - Ah the good old days). The noise did seem to come from a valve from within the GAS valve unit. But I could not relate that a valve would keep bouncing of its own accord and deduce it must be possibly electrical feed to the pump thus reason for changing the electronic bit. The water pump runs smoothly and show no apparant sign of noise or wear and tear.
#
Interestingly (allthough I am sure it has not solved the problem, through frustration I smacked the unit rather hard with the wooden handle of a hefty screw driver (didnt have a big hammer at the time -just as well) and it has worked ok for the past 4 hours or so... but I do not think that this has solved the problem - could it be a sticky relay? I note that there are some micro switches - could it be one of these. Thanks n Regards

Check the gas valve?plug is fully in.

Also that all the connectors on each wire are fully in too.

Tony

I have heard a noise like that when the gas valve is getting faulty and the inside pin keep moving in and out, producing the clicking noise. If the gas valve has found to be the origin, check the CH sensor. Sometimes the sensor have problem and start sending wrong temp. signals to the main pcb and conseguently to the gas valve modureg, causing the noise.

let me know

That last suggestion is most unlikely.

However, the voltage on the green coil can be measured and should vary between about 6-16v DC.

If you have a scope there should be very little ripple superimposed on the DC.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back