Balanced flue, smells and noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having noticed a distinct smell of paraffin from two different installations of oil-fired boilers with low level balanced flues, I chose to have my new oil-fired boiler installed with a conventional flue as a balanced flue would be venting into a courtyard, where the wind tends to eddy around (if the behaviour of sundry plastic bags, empty plastic flower pots etc is anything to go by). However the boiler now roars - it sounds like the flue liner is vibrating. Is there anything I can do about this?
Also a friend is thinking of replacing their 30 plus years old boiler and was wondering whether to reuse the existing flue, which would have to be line, or to go for a balanced flue. The problem is that this flue too would be venting into a courtyard (about 7m square) and I was wondering if they might be giving themselves a smell problem.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back