Ball joint splitter

hi1

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any one recommend or use one of these which doesn't destroy the rubber dust cover of the joint?

Sponsored Links
Two bloody great hammers mate......and a great thwack either side of the taper pops the joint apart.
I've never had any success with a joint splitter either!
John :)

Funny thing is, I've never had any luck with the hammers! Despite having big enough hammers and giving them a decent crack it just doesn't seem to work for me. A professional mechanic mate of mine always does it that way though.
I must not apply enough violence. :eek:
Anyway I use the "scissor" type, with a lever arm operated by a screw. Only a cheapie one. Never failed for me. Sometimes you need to give the top arm a sharp tap to "break" the joint once the pressure is on.

Violence is indeed the name of the game :eek:
I've the kosher splitter too, but damaging the boot seems to be an occupational hazard. Doesn't matter if the joint is going to be replaced though!

Sponsored Links
Agree about the applying a judicial amount of violence thing. :D Years ago I used to help mates with their cars. Most of the trouble they had was getting the old parts off. They often just hadn't hit it hard enough the right way. :rolleyes: I was working in industry back then, and was well versed in getting things apart and back together with a time constraint. So I knew to apply plenty of oomph to things, and (hopefully!) the ways to get out of trouble when nuts round off, etc. etc.
That mate of mine used to say, if in doubt apply a bit of Charlie Warmington. (Heat)

Far as the damaging the rubber boots goes, sometimes it can't be helped. The splitter I have has a well shaped end with a deep recess for the rubber. That usually does the trick OK.

images
Taper breaking the expensive way !

Or, take your pick from pix and hopefully links :-
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=b...cuYnKAhWHuhQKHcZ4DX0QsAQIYQ&biw=1765&bih=1044

This is forking neat - I wonder if we can get similar in UK - or only in 'Merica ?

Ah, ha ! More pictures and links.
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=u...WG6xQKHfAJCXwQ7AkIWA&biw=1546&bih=926#imgrc=_

-0-

Last edited:
Thanks for all those who took their time to reply. used a 5ft wrecking bar to lever down against the underside of the chassis and whatever the lower suspension arm is called. I have seen replacement rubber covers on ebay but its knowing the right size and having it in hand before the damage occurs is my problem, weekend working only and the parts place shut 5 minutes before the need arises to buy a broken bit.

If its the lower ball joint you need to replace, often enough the shaft is parallel and notched for the pinch bolt, rather than tapered.....which vehicle are you busy with?

Hi, it was tapered and a citroen c5. Their lower ball joint is one of the type that screws into the hub carrier and is supposedly removable with a socket with the four pegs. The last one had to have a jack hammer taken to it hence I didn't want to get into that again for the sake of a torn dust cover.

Aha that one......:eek:
Almost impossible without the pegged socket, and round it off at your peril! How you get those out once they have rusted is anyone's guess!
Good luck with it!

Sponsored Links
Back