BANGING PIPES AND RADIATORS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
IN DEC 04 I HAD WHOLE NEW PIPES, 7 RADS AND A BAXI 105E COMBI FITTER. BOILER WAS MAKING A NOISE AND BAXI REPLACED A PART ON THE BOILER. IT HAS BEEN FINE UNTIL THIS WEEK, AFTER A FEW HOURS OF BEING ON THE PIPES START BANKING THEN IT SPREADS FROM DOWNSTAIRS RADS TO UPSTAIRS. IF I MOVE THE THERMOSTATIC VALVE ON ONE RAD IT STOPS AND MOVES TO THE NEXT RAD. THE RAD THEN GOES COOL FOR A FEW MINUTES. WOULD ANYONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS AS TO WHAT IS GOING ON? ALL :confused: WOULD BE GRATEFUL! :confused:

as kevplumb said don't shout, see 6

Sponsored Links
kev, I didnt realise i was typing in capitals i am so rude sorry. It must be something to do with being in work and doing this rather than work,

Sponsored Links
Sounds like a circulation problem.
Do you have a bypass fitted or one rad without a TRv. This could be your problem. :(

dont know much about the system, however if you are asking if one of the rads is without a thermostatic valve then yes. the problem does not seem to be affecting this rad.

Are your Trvs bi-directional.
If not, they could have been fitted on the return pipe instead of being on the flow. :D

Most Trvs are BD and can be fitted on the flow or return.
Some of the cheaper makes have to be fitted on the flow side only.

so how do i know if they have been fitted on the wrong side bahco? and would it take three months for this problem to surface?

BARTO said:
would it take three months for this problem to surface?

Actually it would be apparent when your heating got up to temp the first day as they would be chattering.

Where is this banging coming from, I cannot see why the pipes would be banging unless there is a blockage of some sort. Any more info? What part was changed? :confused:

thie pipes down the side of the wall which supply upstairs i think, start to hum, then the rad in that room starts to bang, if i turn the trv it moves to the downstairs hall rad and then to the bedroom rad?

I have come across something similar, try turning all TRV's off and see if it still bangs. then work back to boiler opening them and bleeding.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back