1. We are pleased to announce the 'Home Automation' forum. Click here to get involved!

Bannister refresh

Discussion in 'Wood / Woodwork / Carpentry' started by geoyakult, 28 Mar 2012.

1. geoyakult

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi,

was wondering anybody could give me advise on what is best to use on my exisiting bannister.

Currently it is a mahogany color and I'd like to keep it this way. Therefore, the option of sanding down to the bare wood isn't really what I want.

What do I need to buy, in order to give the existing bannister a new glaze so to speak.

Bit confused as to whether to use Lacquer, clear varnish etc.

Also, what best to use in terms of whether a brush or some kind of sponge? I don't want brush strokes to appear.

Any help would be much appreciated.

2. foxhole

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Clear varnish applied with a good quality long bristle brush, don't use water based varnish as moisture from you hand will wear it quickly.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. geoyakult

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Any chance you could recommend a particular product that I could easily buy from B&Q?

Using a bristle brush, would it not leave brush strokes on it? Wanting it to be smooth..

Thanks

4. foxhole

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Any oil based varnish will do, avoiding brush marks are down to painting skill and brush quality.

5. matz

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    test any finish you are going to brush on, on a small area first. The biggest problem to look out for is when the applied finish is dry - does it scratch off easily...