Bar with seating area

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello I have a bar with a seating area. The seating area will have a wall mounted tv. Ideally I would like to install speakers by tv and be able to plug an iPod in to come through speakers. What sort of switching unit should I be looking at for the different audio feeds to come through speakers? Can anyone point me in the right direction of a supplier? And any literature/websites to help design / consider the best options? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
The "switching unit" is called an amplifier. There are several types of amp depending on space, budget, and the types of signal it has to deal with from the other equipment you want to connect. More than that there are lots of competing products within each product category. There are probably close to 100 different products that could be used. But only a fraction of that number would fit your specific requirements. So at this stage any specific product recommendation would be fairly pointless until you have honed in on your needs and budget.

Since most people have an idea of what they think they can afford to spend then let's start there. What's your budget (including speakers) and do you expect to install this yourself or do you want it installing professionally?

Next, is this for your home or some sort of commercial premises?

Thinking about size now; does the main amp unit have to fit a certain sized space, and do the speakers have to fit the décor of the room? Have you seen something that you think fits the bill?

before you do that try sitting at 500-600mm away from the tv far far to close in my opinion

unless i am misunderstanding your requirements as in pub bar not breakfast bar

Right it's a cellar. Not a dingy brik cellar but a space 12x11mtr there is a pillar in the center where bar is to be built. In the center of the longest wall there is to be a tv mounted on wall. Directly in front of this there will be a seating area.
I've worked out a lighting scheme but now as well as just hanging tv on wall I would like to provide an amp and speakers (which can be built in if necessary) to provide a sound source from cd/iPod Ect as part of brief was family party's.
budget? Don't have one I've just got to provide some ideas. I would like to keep it simple if possible.

Sponsored Links
The brief is still pretty vague. But reading between the lines it seems like you are at the build phase so you have the opportunity to prewire and plan for the install. It might also mean that you haven't yet bought a TV. Also, your comment about keeping things simple could be interpreted a couple of different ways; either "inexpensive" or "very user/family friendly". The second of those choices could put several hundreds to several thousands of pounds on to the budget.

If you just want a "get you going" solution then have a look at a 5.1 all-in-one home cinema kit. Budget from £300 up for something with a CD/DVD/Blu-ray head unit with iPod input and a couple of additional inputs for TV audio and a games console. You can buy this sort of thing from Currys or Amazon or the local electrical retailer. The speakers have keyhole slots for hanging off screw fixings in the walls. The speaker cables will need extending to cope with your room size, so if you go down this route you should by the kit fist and have a good look at it before you start the building work.

From approx £500 you start to get in to the realms of a proper 5.1 separates system (a BD player + amp + speaker kit). This is still DIY install. But here the advantages are audio quality, greater flexibility and better user features (e.g. iPhone/Android control).

This isn't for everyone, but if you want to create a real Wow! space then from £1000+ you can start to talk to firms like mine who will do a planned install.

The benefits are a properly thought-out system design: We take care of all those "benefit of hindsight" things are often overlooked by the DIY'er. A professional install also gets the most out of your gear from the word Go and shows you cost-effective upgrades that means your family and friends gets the most from your investment in the space. I'm based in Middlewich, but there are probably firms even closer to you as well.

Chris you have read between the lines very well your spot on. Could you provide me details of what features you could provide with a £1000 entry level system? I will research the first two systems and put them to customer. If he would prefer to go the extra mile and choose a WOW system would you be able to supply the equipment only and design the system? I would install myself and would appreciate the benefit of support from a pro installer who would know the spec of what he has supplied.

I have sent you a friends request. If/when you accept we will be able to exchange details and take this to the next step.

Regards

Chris

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back