bare earth wires..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ok, I know that we have to put sleeving on them, but in theory, would it be hugely unsafe to not do so?

after all the rest of the wires are in a metal backbox ( or can be ) and with sockets at least, there's a dirty great big metal strap across the top or back of the socket between the screw holes, and many have exposed earth terminals

Sponsored Links
Part of the reason is to 'clearly identify' that it is a cpc. Another reason is to remove the possibility of it touching any bare conductors that have not been inserted fully, and lets be honest, we've all come across them!

If you don't sleeve the CPCs on a socket outlet and then screw it on, the bare CPC can easily touch the live terminals. They need to be insulated. The other conductors are.

Sponsored Links
Hi Coljack. in order to comply with the regs ALL conductors require identification.That is the SOLE purpose of the G/Y sleeving it is not an insulating sleeve in any way shape or form. Protective conductors do not require insulation. that is why T&E is allowed to be produced with the bare cpc in the first place

so a 1/2 inch piece should suffice to ID the wire then? same as on switch wires?
does it say it has to be the whole length?

No the full length of conductor within the enclosure is required to be sleeved

Hi Coljack. in order to comply with the regs ALL conductors require identification.That is the SOLE purpose of the G/Y sleeving it is not an insulating sleeve in any way shape or form. Protective conductors do not require insulation. that is why T&E is allowed to be produced with the bare cpc in the first place

That's rubbish. Not ALL conductors have to be identified. Identification is not the SOLE purpose of sleeving CPCs.

Have a read of 543.3.2 - last paragraph. Exposed CPC has to be sleeved with BS EN 60684 which is flexible INSULATED sleeving..

that's the one then.. I knew it had to be in there somewhere.. was just a stray thought as I sat at some traffic lights earlier.. ;)

Hi again Coljack.

My apologies on not giving a full and concise answer to your original post.
...As Sparkyspike correctly points out the sleeving does has another purpose in addition to Identification and that purpose is for Mechanical and chemical /electrorolytic protection of the conductor [ see also the previous post from holmslaw]. These requirements are stated in the regs in the context of "Preservation of Electrical Continuity of protective Conductors" Your original question was to enquire would it be hugely unsafe not to install them, well as the sleeving is not required for insulating against live parts purposes {I know the regs state insulating sleeving, but lets be honest it couldnt advize conductive sleeving could it ?]....then the answer to you question would be a No. This is underlined by the designation of a Code 4 on a P.I.R. when an installation is found with cpc sleeving omitted...if the sleeving was intalled for insulation purposes it would need to be attributed a Code 1...How many of the previous posters would attrbuted it as such ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back