bat`s and breathable membranes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
http://www.batsandbrms.co.uk/updates/archive/2012/April

hi i have been on a bat confrence today, and discovered this. If you suspect bat`s are using the roof space, please do not use breathable membranes, as it will kill the bat roost off as they get cuaght up in it like velcro and can not escape. I know it will not be your choice what use, and if you make a fuss could get you introble. Though on that note, please if you can bear it in mind.

Sponsored Links
interesting..but i can honestly say i have never seen a bat caught up in any breathable underlay we have exposed. Not saying it cant happen just not a regular occurance..

yes I know I am a bat carer, and I only just found out about it. The woman just finshed her phd study, the paper is pending. However if you know their roost in that loft space, please bear this in mind, as they are an endagered speicies.

Does anybody have any more information on this as most lines i follow up are apocryphal with almost no evidence that this is actually happening. It would be usefull to find out of any actual documented cases. Evidence is of piling of the fibers on the underside of the membrane where bat's claws have been pulling on the fibers but no actual bats caught.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that yes have i seen the link but i am looking for any other evidence from other sources as well as majority of the links appear to emanate from the same source.

well I have actualy seen the bats corpse, in side a clear plastic box still attached to the mainbrain as they got matted in. It acts like velcro to them, and wears them out to point they can`t escape. The effidence last time I heard was still being peer reveiw, but from what I have seen it seems prity conclusive to me.

All we need now is for some firm to come up with a new type of roofing membrane which will be both breathable and bat-friendly.

Because of research costs, it will retail at £600 per roll.

The manufacturers will then lobby MPs, English Nature and DCLG to introduce legislation requiring that under-tile felts should be bat-friendly.

No government wants to be seen as indifferent to wildlife, whatever the costs. Hence, new legislation will require that all roofs will have to have bat-friendly felt fitted, even though bats may only colonize 0.0001% or whatever it is of roofs. Brilliant marketing.

actualy the govment could not give a toss about bats, and they are carrying out studies to recomend one. Though it will not be purpose built, it just have be okay for them

this is not do not use them, this making you aware if their are bats their don`t do it. Try some thing else as I sure you hae more in your arsnal than just breathable membranes

simple toney I am sure as skilled crafts man you know of more than just breathable membranes you could use to refelt a house that has a histroic bat roost in it.

It does appear that this is one paper and one person's conclusions

Has it been peer-reviewed yet?

There would need to be much more critique of the paper, and more study of the issue for conclusions to be accepted

How many of the various membranes were tested, for instance? And What other provisions could be made for bats instead of a blanket "do not use" conclusion?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back