Bath overflow leak.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there. The overflow on my bath leaks whenever the water reaches it and soaks the ceiling down below. It's a twist bath plug mechanism and I've attached a couple of photos to show. Looking at the overflow it's only plastic. Should there be a rubber seal on it, or some sort of seal, and how could I seal this up to stop the leak? Plus how do I take the mechanism apart to get to it? Any help is appreciated as I'm about to have the ceiling below re-plastered and don't want it happening again.

Sponsored Links
Underneath the chrome overflow you will find a hole. In that hole is a little grub screw holding the chrome dial onto a spigot. Undo this with a small screwdriver or allen key and it will come off. Then you can undo the waste fitting.

It should have a back washer on it, which you can obtain from a plumber's merchants. Also check the plastic overflow pipe as sometimes they may have a small split in them. Put it all back and check.

:)

Unfortunately the screw in the hole is a bit of a corroded mess and I cant unscrew it. It will not grip in the cross hole. Am I going to have to dismantle this with force and replace the whole thing? Why does water always wreck things apart from gardens. Thanks for your help moggridgeplumbing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back