Bath tap/shower replacement advice needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
First time buyer and first time poster so apologies if info is missing.
I'm looking to replace the taps on the bath to include a shower head. Currently we have a low pressure water system (cold water tank in the loft, immersion heater in main bedroom cupboard) and what seems like great water pressure coming from the bath taps.
Current shower is a plastic unit clipped onto the taps with a switch for tap/shower head control. The shower is pretty useless, hence the need to replace.
My ask for advice is whether simply changing the taps to a built in tap & shower head type would be likely to improve the flow from the shower? Or, should I forget that and go straight for a power shower?
Thanks in advance for advice or assurance, if you need further info please let me know

Sponsored Links
Photo of the current mixer unit

Attachments

• 20161111_215305_HDR-1.jpg
    20161111_215305_HDR-1.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 270
You will have a pretty good flow from the taps as they will be full flow given their age. The shower is obviously different, the head is higher up and it has restrictive pipework/shower head.

If the taps are tank fed then to get a good shower it probably need pumpeds one way or another (power shower or remote pump), unless your tanks are 10M above the shower head. Get a plumber in that's well versed in pumped hot and cold water system design.

Morning there,s alot to think about like Madrab says get a plumber who,s used to working with cylinders and water tank,s, and pumps i would say that today most of the work seems to be on combi systems which are quite straight forward when it comes to fitting shower,s.
I live in burnley lancs with lots of terraced house,s and i,ve worked on quite a few job,s with copper cylinder,s and water tank,s it can be a mine field, height of tank to cylinder, size of cyl, size of tank, i,ve had to double the size of the water tank because the water tank has to supply the cold feed side of the shower to be a similar pressure to the hot, and another issue is the length of time you can spend under the shower before it pumps away all the hot water.

Best bet get someone in to have a look go through pro,s and con,s he may suggest an electric.

Sponsored Links
As per Mandrab and remeguy, and one more point - if the existing cold tank and hot cylinder is deemed adequate, check that the feed to the hot cyl. is higher than the cold downservice coming out the cold tank. Simply so that if the shower runs all the water out - the hot goes first. A cold shower is uncomfortable, a hot one can scald.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back