Bath waste pipe angle.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My waste bath pipe in the pipe in the picture below appears to be the wrong angle to allow for natural gravity drainage.

I've had a few leaks underneath the bath and this caught my eye. Water does drain out the bath but can be fairly slow.

Is this something I should be concerned about?

Sponsored Links
Not the best, is it......that pipe will be full of water until the point that it starts to descend. There's a good chance of it blocking with soap debris etc, but there shouldn't be any leaks, even so......but with a lack of fall like that, any water will escape from any weak point.
John :)

I think burnerman was being kind. That installation is just wrong and while it should not leak you need to get it sorted with proper falls on the waste pipe.

Sponsored Links
I thought so. I have no experience on fitting bathrooms or this sort of thing. Whoever installed this bathroom, it would seem has a similar level of bathroom fitting experience as me... none.

If you're bored see my posts about the leaking shower and the problems I have with that. Anyway, I had a hunch that had to be wrongly positioned. More alarmingly, it's worth posting a couple of pics of the actual leak that's coming through the kitchen ceiling which got me taking the bath side panel off in the first place..

I have no real clue how this is leaking or how to sort it:

Underside of the bath:

Underside of the bath at the back which I cannot see without using the Mrs makeup mirror with lights attached:

Thoughts on how to fix this would be very welcome.

Break the seal between the waste and bath (usually a screw in the plughole) take it apart and dry thoroughly, apply the correct silicone to the bottom bit and re-assemble. I hate using silicone as a rule but some bath outlets have a rough finish that won't seal with the washers supplied. As for the fall you only have two options, raise the bath or lower the waste pipe (obvious i know ;) ) option one will require a new bath panel or add skirting board to the bottom of it to hide the gap. Option two might be tricky depending on where it ends up.

Can you do a photo of the bath waste from the inside bath side? I looks to me that the bath may need a repair before you can fit a waste to it properly.

Break the seal between the waste and bath (usually a screw in the plughole) take it apart and dry thoroughly, apply the correct silicone to the bottom bit and re-assemble. I hate using silicone as a rule but some bath outlets have a rough finish that won't seal with the washers supplied. As for the fall you only have two options, raise the bath or lower the waste pipe (obvious i know ;) ) option one will require a new bath panel or add skirting board to the bottom of it to hide the gap. Option two might be tricky depending on where it ends up.

Ok this is the likely course of action. The problem is the bath panel was fitted then the sink which in turn means the bath panel can't be removed without breaking tiles and removing skirting from the door frame.

Nightmare!!

Can you do a photo of the bath waste from the inside bath side? I looks to me that the bath may need a repair before you can fit a waste to it properly.

What do you mean a photo of the bath waste from the inside bath side?

Excuse my ignorance but I'm not entirely sure what you need a picture of. Let me know and I'll get one uploaded though.

All help is much appreciated.

He means take a picture of the plughole.
:LOL: I knew there must be a proper name for it!

The OP's picture shows what I as fearing that rather than one side of the waste sitting high, one side is low and that suggests to me the Fibre Glass is broken and not properly supporting the waste. It looked like that may be the case on the underside pictures.

Fibre Glass can be repaired and that is what is needed now before attempting to refit the waste. The overall thickness of the bath is not critical to fit the waste so doing a repair across the bottom to get an overall flat repair should not be a problem, then build up the topside where it has collapsed low with some gelcoat.

I wouldn't worry too much about this you know. And I certainly wouldn't do any major damage to tiles/boings etc. Fix the leak and buy yourself a decent plunger and give it a good plunge every couple of months to keep it flowing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back