Bath with glowing green water?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This could be a really stupid question!

I've just replaced waste in bath and filled it for first time in our new house, all was well but I noticed the water has a green glow.

I tried filling other sinks but didn't notice anything (perhaps not enough volume though), but when I take water in a bucket from sinks into the bath it still has a green glow.

I'm trying to work out if the water supply is contaminated, or do you just get baths that have something built into the material that causes this effect?!

Sponsored Links
What sort of lighting do you have in the bathroom?

Some sort of fluorescent with a high UV level?

Some types of algae fluoresce

Protective plastic film still in place on the bath.

Find an edge and strip it off.

OwainDIYer - I ruled out lighting/reflections because if I turn all the lights off and use a torch, I still see it.

kbdiy - doesn't have the film on it, bath is 4 years old (sorry not new house but new to us).

Here is a photo -

Sponsored Links
Try it with cold only and see if it still does it. If your hot water is tanked then it could be from the copper if it has been sitting for a while.

Try it with cold only and see if it still does it. If your hot water is tanked then it could be from the copper if it has been sitting for a while.

Have been using cold water only. All the pipework is plastic, which just really leaves the supply coming in or taps themselves if contamination. The previous waste and overflows were badly corroded and only 4 years old, that's why I replaced. It's strange this green glow only appears in the bath though, but again maybe because it needs a lot of water to see it.

Looks normal in the picture to me, love the position on the bath taps.

Lol, yep great for catching your gonads on.

Think the water has a higher chlorine content, getting it checked out by the water authority just to make sure.

Looks normal in the picture to me, love the position on the bath taps.

Apparently it is normal on modern fibreglass baths to have this blue/green tinge. Getting water tested anyway because of the corrosion issues.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back