Bathroom and Seperate toilet pull switches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My flat has a separate bathroom and toilet. Recently I replaced both pull switches, but I probably bought the wrong switches.
Into each switch there are 3 wires Red (live), blue (to power the light), Yellow (to power the common extractor fan). On each of the new switches I ran the blue and yellow into the 'switched live'. When I turn a pull switch ON, the light comes on, the extractor fan starts, and the light in the other room also comes on. The Yellow wire which powers the common extractor fan is 'live' in the bathroom when the toilet light is switched ON, and vice versa. Advice would be very much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
My flat has a separate bathroom and toilet. Recently I replaced both pull switches, but I probably bought the wrong switches.
Into each switch there are 3 wires Red (live), blue (to power the light), Yellow (to power the common extractor fan). On each of the new switches I ran the blue and yellow into the 'switched live'. When I turn a pull switch ON, the light comes on, the extractor fan starts, and the light in the other room also comes on. The Yellow wire which powers the common extractor fan is 'live' in the bathroom when the toilet light is switched ON, and vice versa. Advice would be very much appreciated.

This is quite common when one extractor is used for 2 rooms. You need 2 pole pull switches. Often difficult to find but MK do them. It is usually a special order.

Were they actually faulty or did you replace then for looks? If so you probably won't find pretty ones.

Into each switch there are 3 wires Red (live), blue (to power the light), Yellow (to power the common extractor fan). On each of the new switches I ran the blue and yellow into the 'switched live'..
How many terminals did the original switches have, and how were they wired up?

If you used a different type of switch, and connected the various wires differently to how they were connected before, why did you think it would all work the same as it did before?

Thanks for the replies. The switches were actually broken, hence their replacements. I cannot remember how the originals were wired, they were very old pull switches that broke when I took them down. I would appreciate advice on how to wire new 2 pole pull switches.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies. The switches were actually broken, hence their replacements. I cannot remember how the originals were wired, they were very old pull switches that broke when I took them down. I would appreciate advice on how to wire new 2 pole pull switches.

Not sure how they will be labelled but
Red to C of both poles, i.e. Link both C together to red.
Blue to L1 on one pole
Yellow to L1 on other pole.

You don't want a shower isolator.

The part you want is MK list no. 3151WHI.

You will need one for each room and you will probably want patress boxes to mount them on as well.

They are not a big seller so you will almost certainly need to ask a stockist to order them.

The part you want is MK list no. 3151WHI. ... You will need one for each room and you will probably want patress boxes to mount them on as well. ... They are not a big seller so you will almost certainly need to ask a stockist to order them.
TLC (and probably others) appear to stock them (and the bases/pattresses) - (click here)

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back