Bathroom cabinet switching

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just had a bathroom mirror unit installed in a new bathroom. It has SELV lights downlights for the mirror (set in the top shelf) and under the bottom shelf. On inspecting the wiring arrangement, set in a recess in the top of the unit, I noticed that the 230v supply to the transformer has a permanent live and switched neutral. The switch is a small rocker switch in the underside of the top shelf. Is the switching arrangement (switched neutral) normal?

[Edit]
To clarify, there is a choc block connector in the wiring recess to take mains supply in and switched feed out to the transformer. If it is wired in accordance with the labelling, the SELV transformer will have a permanent live feed and a switched neutral.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The neutral should not be switched. The Wiring Regulations forbid single-pole switching of neutrals because of the danger of something appearing to be off but still being live. The Wiring Regs don't apply to appliances, but I'd advise against wiring it as per the instructions for the same reasons - swap the connections so that it's the live which is switched.

Sponsored Links
Well - I returned to follow up on what was/might have been a stated desire by Winston to resolve our problem. While I was here anyway, I joined in, but it remains to be seen if he does want to sort things out - if not I can't stay.

Observer: Can you please elaborate, You obviously understand the difference between SELV and LV. You also think LV is 230V? Hmm, can't help thinking....

MODS: Delete this if you want to. Is the OP for real? If BAS has replied I'm inclined to think that OP is is a pseudonym.
Then again, I've been wrong before. :)

Observer: Can you please elaborate, You obviously understand the difference between SELV and LV. You also think LV is 230V? Hmm, can't help thinking....

MODS: Delete this if you want to. Is the OP for real? If BAS has replied I'm inclined to think that OP is is a pseudonym.
Then again, I've been wrong before. :)
Well I hope I am 'for real'. I'm not a qualified sparky but I do have some knowledge. More importantly, I think, I recognise the limits of my knowledge.

I didn't state that all LV supplies are 230V, so not sure why you're making a point of questioning my understanding of that.

I had a genuine question that I wasn't sure about. BAS confirmed what I thought ought to be correct, but I didn't want to presume my knowledge is complete, so asked a question of people who I accept know more than me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back