Bathroom design

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. Has anyone used those folding shower over bath screens? The ones that fold say 4 or 7 times that fold up to one end of the bath when not in use. I would like to use one over my bath, but the issue is the end of the bath isn't up against a wall to fix to. Could I use some kind of clear plastic bath screen at the end fixed to the wall parallel with the bath, and then fix my folding screen to this somehow? I have no idea how much the folding screens are likely to weigh and whether this would be strong enough.

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Have you picture/photo you can upload to explain your bath layout?
The folding shower/bath screens are not light, they will require a rigid, secure structure to fix to.

So it sounds a bit like your bath is in a corner, but that the room is 'L shaped and the end of the bath pokes out on its own a bit.

It also sounds like you want to try to completely enclose your bath with these screens. (2 of)

I agree that a diagram would be very useful.

When fixing these screens all of the weight is taken on the wall fixing. No significant weight is on your bath. This is why you are able to open and close it up.

As such, have you considered simply fixing a second screen along the short width of your bath with the idea that when it encloses the bath it simply bridges the bath.

PS; My wife reliably informs me that the folding screens are a real pain in the backside to clean.

Hi. I don't think I described it too well so hopefully this will help. As you can see there's a gap of around 6 inches or so between one end of the bath and the external wall with the window in it. Not shown on here is a large soil pipe that runs the whole height of the wall in this corner. Pipework to the bath runs under the sink and under the back of the bath.

The idea of doing an L-shaped simple bath screen has an issue in that the window is only 1 metre above the height of the top of the bath, so any bath screen is going to be in front of one end of the window somewhat. Not a huge problem as such, I'm just not totally sure it would look great. I could simply spur off the hot and cold bath feeds to a shower mounted on the screen bridging the bath, or just replace the bath taps with a mixer tap (probably neater). To be clear the bath taps are nearest the window.

I could do a similar L-shape at the other end to avoid somewhat blocking the window, the screen would probably need to be clear to avoid the area over the sink losing natural light (although the light is situated directly above the sink).

With regards to using two screens joined together, how is this done? By that I mean I can find lots of ordinary bath screens that attach to a wall, but where do I get a corner piece to join them together?

Sponsored Links
Do you mean the vertical soil pipe is in the corner between the bath and the wall, and a horizontal soil pipe from the toilet goes to the vertical pipe? If so, I would be very tempted to change the overall design, depending on the other dimensions. Don't think it is possible to install a screen that would look decent with the current arrangement.

Why is there a gap between the end of the bath and the wall?

Why not build a partition between the basin and bath and have your shower/taps at that end, surely that solves everything?

Regarding the soil pipe, yes that's what I mean. It comes down through the roof from the bathroom of the flat above, and a small horizontal section goes off to my toilet.

"Why not build a partition between the basin and bath and have your shower/taps at that end, surely that solves everything?"

Far too much awkward work to turn the bath around. all the pipework is in copper so is fixed, there's the drainage over a longer distance from a low height (harder to get right) and my heat pump pipes go under the bath to complicate things even further. A partition with the shower mounted on it and a screen could work....though I'm beginning to think a better option would be just a shower rail+curtain of some sort.

You could potentiallybuild a partition that then forms the window opening? This would hide the waste stack and give you somewhere to mount a screen and shower.

A rail and curtain would be a simple option... but it wont look great. Often it is worth doing that extra bit of work to get that finished result that youll be proud of.

Just redone all my windows recently (triple glazed, though the bathroom is the only double glazed one due to the window fan) so not too keen on undoing that....I did get an idea yesterday from my neighbour to hide the toilet cistern and associated soil pipe by building a fake wall and using a back to wall toilet :) For the shower I may be able to get away with a lower screen on the fake wall will have to see!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back