bathroom downlight silcone sealant

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi there,

my bathroom downlights say to use a suitable silicone sealant around the light.

Thing is, there is already a silicone washer around the light where it sits against the ceiling.

Do you think I need to add additional sealant i.e. from a tube?

See step 1 under "installation" section in instructions below.

http://www.screwfix.com/sfd/i/cat/pdfs/78/p3802078.pdf

thanks,
Alex

Sponsored Links
hi there,

Thing is, there is already a silicone washer around the light where it sits against the ceiling.

Do you think I need to add additional sealant i.e. from a tube?

See step 1 under "installation" section in instructions below.

http://www.screwfix.com/sfd/i/cat/pdfs/78/p3802078.pdf

thanks,
Alex

That's for uneven ceilings! Are yours artexed??

If so do as the instructions say!

thanks.

so the gasket is the silicone washer! the ceiling is flat, so I guess no need for additional sealant.

the instructions aren't entirely clear. Can be read as only use sealant for uneven surfaces, or use it in all cases.

Sponsored Links
What's above the bathroom?

If you're in England or Wales what steps are you taking to ensure that installing these downlights is done in accordance with Parts C, L & P of the Building Regulations, contravention of which is both a criminal offence and something which could make your house hard to sell in the future?

the roof is directly above, no loft space (apart from about 30cm gap from ceiling to roof). Hence lights are not fire rated.

No insulation where lights will be. Lights will be positioned the required distance from any joists etc.

An electrician will be connecting everything up.

Anything else I should consider?

thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back