Bathroom extractor dust problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently had bathroom revamped. Had an extractor fan fitted - comes on with the light. The problem I now have is that there is now a very fine layer of dust everywhere in the bathroom. No sooner wiped off than it starts again. This never was the case before. Could it just be a teething problem or does anyone have any suggestions? I wonder if the fan's polarity has been reversed.

Thanks for reading and in advance for any suggestions

Jim

Sponsored Links
Is the fan blowing and not sucking ? Hold a piece of tissue paper up to the grille. Is it a 12v fan?

That should not happen! Polarity doesnt matter, if its a 230v fan. But the fan inlet and extract duct migght be reversed!

If you put a sheet of loo paper on the fan grill, does it stick? If it blows off then you need to get the perpetrator back.

PS, I would get them back to sort it in any case.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for replies. Tried the paper trick, with unused paper, and it sticks to the fan so it it definitely sucking but can't understand all this fine dust.

Bathrooms always have dust, it is exfoliated skin (which is grey and soft) and cotton dust from the towels.

Or are you getting extra builders dust from the refurb? What was done? Did you change the flooring? How does the power of the old fan compare to the new? Is the dust black or gritty?

Thanks JohnD for reply. It was a new fan, fitted for the first time so the wall was drilled. We also removed the old plaster and the whole bathroom replastered. It's been painted. The dust is black and very very fine. Hope this is helpful.
Thanks again

black dust is probably coming from the building work, e.g. if the walls were drilled and are old breeze blocks.

The fan should have a plastic duct through the wall covering the cut edge. Hoover round and see if there is builders dust on top of door and window frames or light fittings, or under skirtings, which may gradually fall or blow off. Shoddy builders may sweep dirt under the bath or holes in the floor. It might be coming from the loft if anything was done to the ceiling, including new light fittings. Try hoovering round, especially any crevices.

Any fine dust in the air will tend to be drawn towards the fan, so it will be the dustiest area, but builders dust may be heavier.

Where does the replacement air come from? I.e. is there a gap under the floor? Does it come through gaps between the floorboards? Through a vent?

Thanks again. I'll get the Hoover out and blitz it again. There were new light fitting installed as well, forgot to mention that. There's no bare floor, all covered with Vynil. Air comes in around the door.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back