Bathroom extractor fan....timer or not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK, am going to install an inline bathroom extractor in the loft, probably operated by a pull switch. I need a few things cleared up though....

1. Since it will be in the loft and therefore relatively quiet, how to avoid the risk of it being left on? With our old bathroom it was ceiling mounted, and so obvious on leaving the room to switch off.

2. Should a timer be used? If so, how long for a shower? And are timed ones ON for the specified period, or do they generally run for x minutes after switching OFF?

3. I know that humidistats can be incorporated, but if the thing is loft mounted they won't be able to detect moisture?

Any advice??

Sponsored Links
Timer.

Why don't you want it to come on with the light switch? Do you have an aversion to ventilation? Noise and electricity cost will be negligible.

A humidistat will not keep the bathroom fresh <parp>

But does the timer begin at the point of switching on? Or if it is linked to a light, would it continue to run while the light is on, then begin the timer when the light goes off?

Why don't you want it to come on with the light switch?

Just seems really unnecssary, especially with 3 kids forever in and out. I don't always necessarily (summer say) want to use the light, but may want a shower with fan.

but may want a shower with fan.

Is your shower pipework concealed (from valve to head) or is it an exposed riser bar?

Do you have access to the pipework if concealed? Ideally shower head is ceiling mounted with easily accessible pipe work (from loft)...

Sponsored Links
But does the timer begin at the point of switching on? Or if it is linked to a light, would it continue to run while the light is on, then begin the timer when the light goes off?

Yes

Why don't you want it to come on with the light switch?

Just seems really unnecessary, especially with 3 kids forever in and out. I don't always necessarily (summer say) want to use the light, but may want a shower with fan.

Since the fan will run for about 50 hours on 12p worth of electricity, and will be pretty well inaudible, why are you resistant to having ventilation which will occasional be used when not required, which is much better than having it required but not used? Many people have an aversion to ventilation and will not turn on fans or open windows.

If you want the fan on even when the light is not required, yes, you would need to jab the light cord, probably once on entering and once on leaving.

ok, so linked to light is the suggested..... i guess it will also help with my stinky children who are not able to open the window :evil:

what is a recommended timer period in this case? is it even necessary?

start with 20 mins, which is typical to clear the steam after a shower. You can adjust it in necessary. They usually come preset at 20.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back